Wyandottes having trouble with a 2x4 roost

JEsqueda

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
Our coop is walk-in height, and is built off of our deck, in an "open plan" construction. This means that, until I winterize and close in the third wall, the back wall of our chicken coop is the railing of our deck.

For a roost, we have a single 2x4, installed at approximately 36''. All of my hens (approx 6mo old) are able to get up and down from the roost easily, with the exception of two. Since changing from a multi-level roost to a single 2x4, my Wyandottes have been sleeping on the deck, against the railing that looks into the coop. They can see into the coop, but aren't IN the coop.

Does this sound like a roost construction issue? If so, what is the recommended measurement for a lower beam ?

Is there enough sideways room for all of them on the new roost?

Are these the low pecking order chickens?

Any height higher than the nesting boxes should work ...

Hi there,

These are indeed the low pecking order chickens :)

Two of their buddies are mid pecking order, and make it onto the roost. They seem to have been shunted, although I'm not sure if it's due to the hens, or due to roost construction. It really doesn't seem like 36'' is that high to me.

Our 2x4 is approximately 6' in length, and I have 8 hens. They leave a nice big space in the middle of the two groups, so I imagine it's not a space issue. Do you think adding a second roost would help? Bringing them in manually every night is a bit tiresome, given how they fight being touched.

Most times those lowest on the pecking order are not allowed on the same roost as top birds, so adding more roost options that are at the same height is the best thing to do, otherwise chickens sometimes will start sleeping in the nestboxes because of the lack of enough roosts.

Thank you! I didn't realize same height would be acceptable for a secondary roost bar.

We'll put in a second 2x4 this week.

Back
Top Bottom