Wyandottes noisy?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by DonaldG, Mar 14, 2015.

1. DonaldG

DonaldG Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2015
    Dryden, Ontario, Canada
    Have been reading that Wyandottes are noisy. How noisy are they?

2. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 GLW & 2 SLW! I had heard they were suppose to be fairly quiet & they seem to be reasonably so but I have no basis for comparison The 2 GLW do an egg song, the 2 SLW do not but they chatter more. The 2 SLW seem to lay better, a bit calmer. Until recently the 2 GLW were at the top of the pecking order, that is until one had a hard molt. Now she is at the bottom & seems like that is where she will remain & the 2 SLW are bound & determined to get even with her for being so mean to them. I had posed a question awhile ago asking if anyone had noticed a difference between the color variations of Wyandottes just out of curiosity but got no response to date . I think it's an individual thing! Sooner or later I'll need to refresh my flock if there's a quieter hen out there that can lay as well, take the heat as well, etc, I may consider them as these are stealth chickens. These are very good birds however & I am well pleased!

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Of the few SLW's I've had, I would say they are more noisy in confined space. They usually rank at the top or close even if there is only one of their kind. They do not like their personal space invaded especially in the nest box, and will say so loudly and quickly. They are naturally dominant birds IMHO. When I lost a roo, my SLW grew a full spur on her left leg, acted as a roo on matters of flock protection yet laid eggs. They are descent egg layers, very cold hardy but they seem uncomfortable and cranky on extremely hot days and nights. Over all, I like the breed but do not have any at the moment. my last one, with the spur and all, died last summer at the age of five.

4. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    My SLW is a very sweet girl...she is more dominant for sure, but she is older...like 7 or 8. We call her "Big Mama" because she is so wizened and fluffy. When she used to lay eggs, she had a very deep, throaty, the-fat-soprano-with-the-Viking-cap, kind of egg song. But other than the egg song, (which all female chickens do) I would say she has the sweetest, soft little croon/chortle. My Leghorn has a screechy, insistent, noisy squawk...

5. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I've heard that too, but personally I have not noticed any difference between my BLRW's and my other chickens.

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I have 5 Silver Laced Wyandottes and none of them are noisy, My noisy ones are my 2 white Leghorns (clucker after laying eggs). So SLW are pretty docile and quiet and lays large to extra large brown eggs for me.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by