1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wyandottes, What color am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Helen in the Desert, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Here is my BLR Roo, is he splash or BLR?

[​IMG]

Also, this chick who is light gray/blue and white, and the other that is sort of BLR, and this black and white cockrel - The BLR/Splash is dad and one of my Silverlaced feed store hens is mom but don't know which one is mom of whom or one or all...My little pet cochin got broody so I let her hatch some. Be brutal and honest, I am thinking about moving towards showing, so I want' to improve my stock or at least know who to hatch and who to have for breakfast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is Dad and all 3 possible moms (not the americana though, I KNOW what her eggs look like)

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Your male is a Splash BLRW.

The chicks look to be mostly SLW right now.

As for showing, I wouldn't show any birds from your matings because they aren't pure in color. You either need to get a SLW roo or BLRW girls. Also, if you are showing, hatchery chicks are not the way to go. Invest in some good show stock or get eggs from good show stock.

3. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    What is SLW? is that Silver Laced Wyandotte or something else?

4. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Yes, Silver Laced Wyandotte.

5. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    The chicks are SLW? I mean C-1, H-3 and R-3. I am working on getting better BLRs from a breeder next season. Right now I am just curious about the genetics and learning the color types/names.

6. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:They are incomplete SLW. They actually look mottled, more than laced.

7. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    R-3 is beautiful!

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    They don't really look laced to me, more like mottled crossed with SLW. If you want to show, there are plenty of people who sell hatching eggs for mailing. [​IMG] or look up local breeders. I've seen some really nice extra stock for sale for sale every once in a while on Craigslist. Mostly i see hatchery stock or mixed breeds, but once in a while you get someone selling some really nice birds.And they know what they have and expect to be paid for them. There's a local guy that sells bbs true ameracaunas in the spring for $10 a chick! But worth it if you want to show or just want to know you are breeding good quality birds to further the breed. [​IMG]

9. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    My "chicken Partner", a friend with the same likes as me, has an incubator and is doing the egg thing from good stock with BLR and SL, so hopefully soon we will have something really good to work with. I don't mind paying for good birds, and will probably do so next season, now it is just the whole learning curve thing, getting to the poultry shows and watching the judging and asking questions. Can anyone recomend a good breed/color standard book? My friend has a genetics book, but I am a visual creature and like to catorize stuff.

10. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    Quote:Thanks, lowry075! You live so close, too bad you can't have roos or you could have him! sweet bird, have to find a home for him, not just cull. Is the hen in your photo the buff orpington? I have an EE that color and think she is just the most beautiful golden bird. too bad she lays blue eggs and not solid gold...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by