Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by minna, Feb 16, 2009.

1. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    My dh and I had planned on adding SLW and GLW to out flock this year. A friend told my dh that his are very aggressive and not worth the trouble. I was really looking forward to some GLW, and now I don't think he is wanted to mess with them. Anyone have experience with these beauties disposition?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    All of the Wyandottes I have ever owned have been very nice. I have not had evey type but I have had lots of Wyandottes.

3. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    We have two BLW hens and they have lovely dispositions and lay wonderful pink-shelled eggs -- we love them!

Verity

4. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    My 2 GLW are the most timid of my flock. They are beautiful but we will not get Wyandottes again, though DH is from Wyandotte country. Their eggs are the smallest - the DelightfulDozen will be one year old soon. But compared to the RIR and EE - no contest.

Personality wise - they are the least approchable, the least touched. They have th least "personality".

Just mho of course.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have had some hatchery ones many years ago with nasty attitudes but the ones I have owned from good lines were very personable and sweet natured.

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Does this look like aggression? He's in love. Actually they get pretty big and could see them getting that way. I think almost all roo's get mean. I have had to rehome all mine so far. Hopefully I can keep this guy.

[​IMG]

7. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    So I guess if I want the best odds, I should buy some eggs from a trusted member of the site and skip the hatchery.

lovemychix- not all roos get mean, I have the best NH roo in the world, he has a hurt leg right now and he is a big baby. I have quite a few roos and none are aggressive. You just have to love on them. [​IMG] I have a soft spot for roos!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got Blues and BLRWs and they are all very calm friendly birds. Their eggs aren't the biggest the first year, but get larger in the 2nd year.

9. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have BLRWs and they are very friendly . Never been aggressive at all. Would like to add a few more Wyandottes to my flock.

10. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Quote:Really my roos were nice to me and would eat out of my hand. But they saw my son as a little threat to the flock. That is why I had to rehome them. I loved listening to them and their crow-off's they used to have. [​IMG] I miss them. Hopefully these new ones I can keep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by