Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emjay, Oct 13, 2009.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    opinions on the breed please.

are they overly dominant, in a nasty way generally, or just like to be boss with authority? Are they a good breed to have in a flock?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

All of the wyandottes I've owned were nice natured calm birds, not nasty, not bossy.

I cannot pass comment on hatchery stock as I've never had any. I have heard some people say that the "wyandottes" they bought from a hatchery were aggressive.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one Wyandotte, a hatchery bird, but she is still very well natured, docile, submissive, a good layer and a very friendly bird. No complaints here.

4. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Mine are sweet as sugar and the friendliest of our chooks [​IMG] Actually the bossiest of ours would be legbar/norwegian jærhøne mixes.

They are generally good layers year-round, winter hardy and tend to go broody (which I continually try to dissuade mine from as we hatch in a 'bator).

I've heard some complaints about some hatchery stock, others prize theirs. Mine are breeder stock...

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My wyandottes are great birds. I've got silver laced , blue laced red, and blue, black and splash. They are all very calm, friendly and pretty birds. If I could only keep one breed, as fond as I am of all my different breeds, honestly it would probably be my wyandottes.

6. ceadar post

ceadar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    I would agree with everyone here. Mild,calm and fun to be around. Mike

7. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    sounds good, I hope her attitude changes, mine doesn't seem overly cuddly at the moment. haha. Maybe she hates that winter is coming and is grouchy. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, for now. [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I had golden laced and thery were as everyone else has said sweet mama hens. They laid a smaller egg than I wanted and not as frequent as my heavy layers otherwise I would still have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by