Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Dec 16, 2007.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I just saw pictures of Wyandottes. They are gorgeous! I'm thinking about adding some to the flock. Has anybody had any experience with this breed? What are their personalities like?
    I'm also getting Amerucanas. Will the two types mix well?

thanks,
    CG

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I can't help you..but you outta see them in real life.......they are simply gorgeous !

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    They seem like nice big birds I had one silver laced wyndotte cockerel but I re homed him I have one Golden Laced wyndotte pullet she seems to be pretty spunky none of my birds are preticularly friendly though so I couldnt say.

Henry

4. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    They are great birds. I had silver laced hens for a long time, my last one is very old now. I also have blue laced red pullets. They are good layers depending on the strain and are really calm in demeanor. I haven't worked that much with the new ones but my old hens were very friendly and the old gal that's left is now a pet, she lives in the retirement room of the coop with her easter egger (EE) friend. In my experience the breed is very talkative and the hens are always clucking around happily. I named the old hen I still have after the talkative and gossipy old lady down the road. Wyandottes will get along great with ameraucanas. I would recommend the breed to anyone!

Here's a pic of my old silver laced hens with my EE hen

[​IMG]

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our SLW and EE get along just fine. Our SLW just started laying a couple months ago and she is a powerhouse! She lays every day for like 2 weeks before taking a 1-day break. She is very sweet, calm, and somehow more "instinctual" than the other girls. For instance, she's the most aware of other birds in the area, animals, etc. She also prefers to perch on our arms than to be held like the other girls, but very sweet. Not outgoing, a little shy, ladylike. And so pretty!

6. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 SLW they are sweet girls, and I have 2 auracaunas and they seem to get along just fine. Good luck they will be fine together.

7. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    My couple of Wynadottes are all sweet but pretty snobish and a little flighty. I like the way they look but I doubt I'd get them agian.

8. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I have one GLW (had two...one turned out to be a boy and went to a friend's farm) and she's pretty shy. The boy was also shy to the point of being flighty and panicked whenever I tried to catch/touch him, even as a little chick. Otherwise, they seem sweet as a breed and get along well with the others. My Ophelia is definitely a looker; I think she's my prettiest pullet.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I have 2 GLW and two SLW - all girls.

They are nice big chickens with the most wonderful fluffy chicken bottoms!

They haven't started laying YET (they are 20 weeks next week, so I'm not discouraged...)

The SLW are pretty outgoing and nice - not 'jump in your lap' friendly but not overly skittish and definately not agressive.

The GLW are a bit more shy - they are the last to come up for treats, etc, but still very nice chickens.

I got mine from Meyer hatchery.

Now, if they will start laying me some eggs, I'll be very happy!

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have three Silver Laced Wyandotte girls who are two years old that I raised from 2 days old. They are fabulous layers, very sweet, calm, all-round good girls. One is pretty bossy with the feed dish, but none are aggressive. I adore mine. Not bad to look at, either!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by