Wyandottes?

ColbyNTX

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Woods, TX
I have never eaten any of my Wyandottes before but I am raising some from my eggs that I would like to eat. What age is good for this breed to be slaughtered? I don't remember how old they are, I think about 12 weeks but I had all the hatch dates in the iPhone but the calander has been erased somehow!
somad.gif
I picked one up yesterday and the breast and legs felt pretty small. They were hatched with turkeys so they were on 30% feed for about 8 weeks but are now on 20%.

Quote:
The SOP says an adult Cock should be 7 lbs and a hen 5lbs. That is a year old bird. I don't think any of my roos got that big. There are not that big of a bird, so 7 lbs. seem very large to me.

Sue

Red&Yellow :

Any cockerel is too tough for me mom at 20 weeks...so I aim for 17 weeks, and end up with 18 1/2
roll.png

I processed a few of my roos at 17 amd 19 weeks - they ran about 3-5lbs, and were tasty and good.

I have three now I picked up and processed, that are 8 months old. I can tell by their feel they won't be roasters, but they will make fantastic soup birds. They are BIG too.​

Back
Top Bottom