wyandotts for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mxpres, Jan 17, 2010.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I have been feeding my two GLWs for almost six months and no eggs,they are around three years old,I don,t like feeding something that don,t do anything but eat and poop,anyone ever processed GLW for meat?they are stocky well fed birds,,Dumplings?

2. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    Check out the official wyandotte thread under breeds, genetics and showing here at BYC. Some of the folks over there say the wyandottes take a little longer to start laying the eggs, one person said he had one or some that didn't start laying until they were 30 weeks old. They are dual purpose birds - good for eggs or meat so if you don't want to wait on them [​IMG] -- they could be dinner.

On the other hand - They are really three YEARS old? If they are, sounds like chicken stew is good plan for dinner...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Quote:Is that possible? That a hen just never starts laying?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The OP said they are 3 years old and they haven't laid for 6 months. At 3 years old their best laying days are probably gone, but they can still lay. My older girls take longer breaks after they molt and over the winter than my younger girls tend to. They'll probably start in again now that the days are getting longer. Certainly your choice whether you keep them around or send them to the stew pot.

5. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Quote:Whoops, my bad. Teach me to read and try to answer while cooking dinner and cleaning the kitchen at the same time!

I agree with you in that they could probably give you some more eggs out of them, but unless they are special to you, I wouldn't bother. Let the old gals retire to the Freezer Home for Old Chickens and let some younger hens do the work of consistent egg laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by