Wyandotttes- BLR GL

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Savannah Poultry, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    okay so just out of curiousity what is the difference between a black blue laced red wyandotte and a golden laced wyandotte genetically speaking and appearance wise? I've never seen either in person but from pictures i've seen they seem to look they same.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A good quality Gold Laced should truly just be a golden brown with black lacing. A "black" Laced Red is just that - It's a gold laced with the mahogany gene (what Rhode Island Reds and Black Copper Marans carry) to turn the golden feathers a deep, lustrous red.

Physically, most BLRW's aren't the best, although some breeders like Foley's truly have nice birds. Otherwise, there are a LOT of poor quality BLRW's out there, but the same goes for Gold Laced.

In general though, since gold laced is an accepted color and has been for a loong time, they generally have a better body.

3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    oh i get it! thanks so much! It is nice to know the truth haha but yeah I looked at foleys and the colors Were different for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by