1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wynadotte cross breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brysonjohnson, Feb 22, 2015.

1. brysonjohnson

brysonjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Utah
    Is it possible to mix a breed with a wyandotte so the offspring would look like a wyandotte and have feathered feet?

2. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    Anything is possible given enough time/generations, number of individuals you can hatch and cull through, patience and understanding of the genetics. What aspects of the Wyandotte type are you wanting in your ideal bird? If all you want is a rose comb and feathered feet, you could get there in a couple of years. If you want the perfect Wyandotte shape, etc. it will be a lifelong quest.

3. brysonjohnson

Feb 22, 2015
    Utah
    im just in it for the fun so it doesnt have to be perfect. would it also to breed a version of it with no comb?

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Normally, a clean leg crossed to feather leg have sparse leg feathering, especially if the feather leg parent is not heavily feathered like langshan.

You can either cross the first generation together to get some wyandotte looking with more leg feathers.

No comb is not an easy task.. you could try breeding with Breda as they are 'combless' with the plus of being rather heavily feather footed.

Other than that... it is possible to breed for smaller, flatter rose combs but the few times I crossed, they tended to have pretty big rose combs in the first generation.

Combining rose and pea will give walnut, they can be bred down to be small but they also reduce wattles via the pea comb.

Is there something else you're interested in? such as the lacing or just interested in the wyandotte type plus leg feathers? If the latter is your goal, maybe cross with cochin...

5. brysonjohnson

Feb 22, 2015
    Utah
    thanks for the answer! I will try for a smaller comb then

6. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by