WYNDOTTE IN SHOCK AFTER FOX ATTACK? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennifernadya, Mar 4, 2017.

1. jennifernadya

jennifernadya New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    Hi All!

Our sweet wyndotte was caught up in a fox attack yesterday early am, fox attacked and killed one hen and all the other hens went flying. This wyndotte was found in the stream and we arent sure whether the fox got her too, the only sign of injury: a patch of hair missing on her back near her tail feathers. The water immediately froze on her as it was way under freezing.

Current behavior: since yesterday she has been 'out of it.' when we fist took her out of the stream she was panting and let me hold her, which is very unusual for her. Stunned and cold. I didn't see any punture wounds or other wounds aside from the bald patch on her back.

she wobble walked when i put her down. I took her into the coop, put the heat lamp on (it is 10 degrees out today) and warmed her up. She sat there for the entire day, unmoving. She also had an unformed egg drop from her as I found it under her later in the day.

Today she pecked a little at the cracked corn, but i havent seen her drink or poop. Still wobble walking. Looks drowsy chicken eyed.

Our flock seems to have moved on, now only 8 chickens. We have a water warmer, food and shelter for her. It's cold as heck today.

I am wondering how i can help my sweet wyndaughter! Is this shock? Does she just need time? Can I help her recover?

Thank you so much everyone!!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    You could bring her indoors for observation but it is very important that she be eating and drinking, especially drinking water. It can be difficult to see just how she is getting on if you need to go out into the coop to check on her. If she is not getting enough food and drink on her own she may need assistance from you, she is clearly in shock and if you want a full recovery, I would set her up with a little nest area inside for a few days until you are certain she is on the mend. Best Wishes.

3. jennifernadya

jennifernadya New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    thank you! she seemed to be perked up when i went to go feed her maple water and ran away from me, and flew to her roost which i thought was a good sign. she does seem to have a shallow wound where it looks like the Fox grabbed her feathers. it's not a puncture wound. it looks clean. She ate corn like crazy from my hand so i am hoping this is all going in a good direction... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by