Wyndotte laying behavior?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amyh, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Do they generally lay less frequently? I have a new layer and I'm only getting one egg every third day from her. I think it's the Wyndotte, but I'm not 100% sure. She is about 10 months, so if it's not her laying, I may never get eggs from her!!! lol

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My hatchery GLWs have been very reliable layers as a rule. When they started laying at about 6 months old I got an egg just about every day until their first molt which didn't happen until they were about 2-2.5 years old. They took a break from laying just long enough to re-grow feathers and went back to it. Now, they are old ladies and don't lay as well or as often, but they still lay a couple times a week. The only GLW that I have that hasn't laid well is my chronic broody.

3. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    My SLWs only take a break from laying every few days. [​IMG]

4. EssexGirl

EssexGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Hayward
    I have two GLWs, somewhere over a year old, and it seems like they alternate days - I don't often get a day when they both lay. Don't know what they were like when they were younger, as we didn't have them then.

5. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I got her from a breeder, but geez this girl is OLD, so I'm not sure what's up with her! Ugghhh...

6. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    My columbian wyandottes have been laying every day except for the one hen who went broody and hatched out chicks. It took her a few days before she started laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by