Wyndottes not laying yet

Chicken Lil

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
This is my first bunch of chickens so I'm not sure if different breeds start laying at different times. I have 8 hens, all hatched the week of 8/11. Two leghorns and two silkies are laying and have been since about the first of the year. But none of my four gold laced wyndottes are laying yet. They are a nice size and get plently of water, layer crumble and free choice oyster shell. So why haven't they started?
Actually I was surprised my little silkies started laying first, as everything I read about them made them seem like poor layers.
smile.png

It's normal that they haven't started. They're still fairly young, though old enough to start laying.

Yes, some breeds do start later than others, and some need more light than others. My banty cochin is 8 months old and doesn't seem ready to lay anytime soon, whereas my BSL started at about 5 months old.

I have 5 "chicks" that hatched the first week of June. I have not had any eggs from them yet. (At least, I do not think so. I have had 2 eggs so far this year, but I suspect they are from the production red.) However, when the days get a little longer and warmer, I am expecting to have more than I can handle.

BTW, they are a barred rock, a white rock, a SLW, a GLW, and a buff orpington.

Mine get 14 hours of light on a timer (here in Western Mass., there is very little sunlight this time of year). We get about 5 eggs a day from our six pullets (6.5 months old).
2EEs (green, blue/green eggs)
2BOs
2RIRs

My GLW is almost that same age - 8/19. She's just beginning to come into lay - we've gotten a few pullet eggs that we are pretty sure are from her. She's not regular yet though.

Thanks all.
smile.png

Yes they have light 14 hours a day, and my leghorns are awsome, they each have been laying an egg a day for three weeks now. The silkies are laying every other day, so just my Wyndottes are slow starting. Well hopefully they will statr laying soon.

I have a GLW hatched in May '08 who's not laying yet. I'm hoping that once the days are consistently warmer, she'll decide to lay. My EE just resumed laying after a four month sabbatical.

Back
Top Bottom