Wynona and Reba or Waylon and Willie?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BethesdaChicks, Sep 3, 2016.

1. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    I'm on my first batch of chickens, they are about 15 weeks old. I'm beginning to think 2 of my Rhode a Island Reds (Wynona and Reba) are actually Waylon and Willie. They are bigger in size, have much more pronounced combs and whatever the gobbler looking things are, their feet are more yellow too.

If they are, in fact, roosters then this is a curve ball I wasn't anticipating and I'll have a bunch more questions. lol

Here are a couple pics, what do you guys think? Wynona and Reba or Waylon and Willie?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeppers., both are gorgeous cockerels.

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    x2, is that a boxer I see in your first picture?

4. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    That's what I thought! I have been waiting for the morning I walk outside and they are crowing lol!

Will it be an issue keeping both? I really only wanted hens for eggs. But Wynona/Waylon is really friendly so I guess I'm entertaining keeping him

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Waylon and Willie.

Everyone else in the pics is female [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    Yes! Her name is Zoey. she takes pride in her role as Guardian of the Dixie Chicks! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Aww, I love boxers, although my current one has been more an eater of my poultry. My last one was a good poultry herding dog. Thanks for sharing she's cute.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    both cockerels - and very nice Boxer

1 person likes this.
  9. BethesdaChicks

BethesdaChicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2016
    Tennessee
    Thanks! Boxers are the best!! I was worried when the chicks were smaller that I'd never be able to let them free range. Zoey was obsessed with them. I think once she figured out that I was taking care of them and they were staying she was more interested in helping me with them. She's a good doggie

Do you think I will be able to keep both roosters? Or should I go ahead and find one a home?

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How many hens do you have? How experienced are you with chicken behavior? Are you interested in keeping a rooster or hatching? I always like to see how it goes and remove them if they become trouble. A good rooster is a wonderful asset, a poor rooster is a pain. So it can depend on how they turn out and what your goals and desires are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by