x-large egg, small chick = trouble??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 14, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have Ameraucana eggs in the bator on day 17. I candled tonight because they are going in the hatcher tomorrow afternoon.I have some that are x-large to jumbo but mostly large. All the chicks seem to be the same size regardless of egg size. The chicks in the largest eggs look small, are they going to have a problem hatching?
    Krista

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They should be OK - all you can do is wait, unfortunately. [​IMG]

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Are the eggs still heavy? If so, keep your humidity down until the actual hatching begins. The eggs need to lose about 14% of their total weight by day 18. This assures enough water loss so the chicks don't drown.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am dry incubating. The eggs just seem so big! I guess they will probably pip lower on the egg [​IMG] . I am even waiting an extra day (as instructed) to add my humidity cuz a few eggs went in 1 day after these. Guess we will see in a few days. Thanks for the responses!
    Krista

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    No, they will not pip lower in the egg. They will very likely hatch later (needing more time to develop). I would refrain from opening the hatcher to give them plenty of time to complete hatch. You can leave hatched chicks in there for up to 3 days safely. It is typically not recommended to set different sized eggs for this reason, altho they can hatch just fine if given the opportunity. Good luck.

Jody

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Agree, hincjc...I set some Wellsummers along with some bantam cochin eggs. I thought the Wellsummers weren't going to hatch at all. They finally pipped and hatch quickly on day 23...long after all the others had already hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by