X-Large & Jumbo eggs. Exactly how big are they? What R these whoppers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by verycherry, May 1, 2009.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    One (or 2?) of my hens has been laying really big eggs, but I can't seem to catch her in the act so I don't know which one it is. I have 30-something hens laying.

At first, I said, oh well, probably a double yoker, and just threw them in the basket, but they're not long like most double yokers I've gotten. I cracked one the other day and it was a single yoke egg.

Here is a pic of two of them. One was laid a couple of days ago, and is now in the bator.....I just had to do it! The other was laid yesterday.

Would these be Jumbo? I'm pretty sure they're larger than the Jumbo I've seen. My lens cap is 2 & 3/8 of an inch wide, to give you an idea of size. Wouldn't this hurt the hen? Ouch! I can't even close an egg carton that has one in it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    I had a couple Barred rock (my cousin begged me for them, so I gave them to her).. Anywho They sometimes layed extra large eggs.
    My 2 white leghorns, sometimes they lay eggs so big, I call them ostrich eggs. They won't even fit into an egg carton.. LOL

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Nah, it's not hurting her. If it was, she wouldn't be able to get them out. Eggs are graded by weight per dozen. I'm not sure the actual weights.

4. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Egg sizes by weight in oz.:

1.5 oz - small
    1.75 - medium
    2.0 - large
    2.25 - EL
    2.5 - Jumbo

My Redstar lays eggs that are minimum 2 7/8 oz every day, and she's had a few at 4+ oz. I've named this size OMA - Oh, my A$$! [​IMG]

We BYCers should come up with new sizes everything over Jumbo.

5. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    OMA, lol! That's a good one, can I use it? [​IMG]

Well, I have a Black Sex Link that might well be the one, but most of the time they have speckles and these don't, and they're just a little larger than hers usually are.

I'll have to weigh the lighter colored one then to see what these are. The darker one is in the bator. I want to see the moster chick that hatches out of that one, lol! I don't have a scale right now though.

6. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    4+ ounces, wow!

Does the weight enclude the shell?...or do I crack it and weigh the contents only?

7. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    It never said, so I assume WITH the shell - after you crack it, it's kind of hard to put in the carton!

Sure - you can use it! I want it to become a standard size - except we might have to change it to OMB - Oh, my BUTT - to be more family-friendly!

Most of Red Stars eggs won't fit in the cartons either. People usually give me Large egg cartons and hers will only fit in the Jumbo cartons - and of course the OMBs won't even fit in those.

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  8. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    It never said, so I assume WITH the shell - after you crack it, it's kind of hard to put in the carton!

Ok smartie pants! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Admittedly, I have been known to do some pretty airheaded stuff, but I meant on the individual weight...

BawkinOnTheBench said...

1.5 oz - small
    1.75 - medium
    2.0 - large
    2.25 - EL
    2.5 - Jumbo​

9. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Out of the chickens you list you have in large fowl. I think the langshan or cochin would be the most likly canidates for those eggs. These are both good size breeds that can easily lay very large eggs.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    One of my EE hens (all medium sized hens) laid this MONSTER today! It is 3-7/8 ounces! This one happens to double yolked, most we get that are this large or close to it are single yolk.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by