x mas inlaws dont dig my gals!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by peeboo, Dec 24, 2008.

1. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    My poor girls are getting the cold shoulder from my mother in law [​IMG] I always get so happy and excited and spew my chicken propaganda all over anyone who wants to hear about them. I thought for sure she would love them. But she thinks of them as 1)smelly 2)mean 3)ugly 4)useless. she even commented on my dogs and how they are too big! we have them over for x mas this year and we live VERY modestly, and she's telling me how the chickens make my house and yard smell. it's freezing outside! i always clean their doodies up, and there is no way it smells. it just makes me mad! i dont like her dog but i dont say things like that. she almost makes me feel emberassed! i work so hard to keep everything nice and tidy and to have someone living in your house as a guest say it smells? i just think that's so rude. they know how much i love my girls and they call me crazy to my face for sitting outside with them and having them on my arms and back. it's my joy and she thinks my eggs are DISGUSTING! because they came out of those animals' butts. well! the eggs she gets at the store aren't made in factories you know? she acts as if they are live grenades! it's x mas and my poor girls are left out in the cold [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    But she thinks of them as 1)smelly 2)mean 3)ugly 4)useless.

Has she never eaten eggs? Cooked chicken?

Maybe it's like people who talk a lot about their grandchildren to people who don't have them. Perhaps she just doesn't want to hear about it.

It's tough for some people to "get it" about chickens. I was one of those people one time.

Anyway - happy holidays, peeboo!​

3. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

If I had a houseguest complaining about how my house smells, I'd be printing out a list of local motels and handing it to her cheerfully. Even if it was my mother-in-law. Actually, especially if it was my mother-in-law. [​IMG] Sorry you're having to deal with wet-blanket, killjoy relatives.

4. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    ya, it frustrates me when people dont get it. i'd rather be that odd ball anyway, i'm at least pretty darn happy when i'm chillin w/ my peeps [​IMG]

5. peeboo

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    Do all of us poultry fiends have these experiences? i'm assuming we do.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    People like that make me SICK........as do mothers-in-law in general. [​IMG] Sorry, that HAS to be putting a serious damper on your Holidays. [​IMG] Hope you can manage to enjoy yourself anyway. Oh, and I may be getting myself in trouble here, but if she has issues with an egg coming from a chickens butt.....OMG I would politely explain to her that it is a chickens birth canal, too, and then shove your husband to her and say "here, THIS is your egg".

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I suspect that ultimately your MIL's comments have nothing to do with the animals; this may be more about the power struggle over sharing her son with you. I personally would not take it in the least bit seriously. Just a thought from a Psych major.

Enjoy the holidays! Don't let the little stuff spoil the big things. [​IMG]

8. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    my hubby thinks I'm a bit over the edge about my chickens, but he sure enjoys their eggs! the rest of the family justs laugh and tease me about it - i can take it.

some people just have to have somebody to talk down to - I'd just ignore her snide comments and enjoy your holiday!! That makes you the better person.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a witch! Guess she thinks common courtesy is just for strangers. I'd tell her that I like my chickens' company much better than hers, so she can find someone else to degrade and then I'd show her out. Life is too short to take that disrespectful crud off anyone. I'm sorry she hurt your feelings. Shouldn't have happened.

10. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, Guest should realize they are actually MOOCHERS in disguise. When "guest" comment on the fowl waking them too early I just say "Yes, they DO make quite a bit of noise in the morning don't they. I'm SURE that they don't allow chickens near the motels in town though. We can get you a room there if they are bothering too much". End of conversation!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by