X-Ray of my favorite hen... RIP

Sunset Ranch

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 20, 2015
Glennville, CA
Had to put my sweetest hen down today. :(((
She was a rescue and I've known for a long time that something wasn't right with her, because oftentimes there was a clicking sound when she breathed. The heat was really hard on her this summer and she made distressed noises while she was laying her eggs. Last night she wasn't herself, and this morning she didn't come out of the coop. I brought her in and gave her a good going over. A full, undigested crop, a very pale comb, no energy, a bit of runny poo on her bottom and no appetite were her symptoms. The vet took an x-ray and said that besides her full crop, she had a diminished lung capacity and a lot of calcification deposits in her abdomen. She didn't know what to make of it because she's wasn't familiar with chickens, but said my hen was suffering and it would be kindest to put her down. I opted not to send her out for necropsy for two reasons, 1) I wanted to bring her home and bury her on our property, and 2) the cost of all this came to nearly $400.00. Necropsy would have adding another $80.00. Please don't get on to me for not sending her body off... I feel bad enough as it is.

Sorry about your loss :(.

Interesting to see a chicken X-ray, since most rarely would have one done. Where is the calcification? I only see what looks like rocks in the crop and gizzard.

Thanks Kathy. It is SO hard to lose one (I've lost young ones to predators on the last) but especially a favorite because they just don't come along everyday.

I did not know that but will file the link for future reference. Yesterday I wasn't prepared for what happened - I thought they would be able to treat her and she'd get better. She's buried in a nice spot, fitting for her place in my heart, under a big, pretty old oak tree.

Toddrick, the vet mentioned calcification. I have no idea how to read the X-ray, but I would be pretty upset if I learned that her gizzard was actually normal looking, and/or that she could have been treated and saved. Unfortunately there are no chicken expert vets in my area.

Back
Top Bottom