X-ray photos!!! Impacted chicken from crazy eating habits!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dweder, Feb 28, 2012.

1. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    [​IMG]

I recently posted a question about help with my 18 week BJG that appeared to have her first egg stuck in the shoot. She had a huge buldge, that felt like an egg, protruding out of her rear end area. I ended up taking her to a great vet and had an xray done.

She's been eating huge amounts of sand! Totally impacted head to tail. This has caused her intestinal track to become inflamed etc.....Her gizzard is full, and you can see the mineral traces all through her system. Apparently this can happen when a hen starts to ovulate, they crave minerals. Sadly, she is eating way too many and the prognosis doesnt look good. This vet is keeping her overnight and is going to attempt to fix her. Scared that she is already suffering from a secondary infection etc. Good news is this vet recognizes the importance of affordable care for chickens, and is not charging me much at all!

Fingers crossed!!!

2. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    That is so interesting. I hope she's ok!

3. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Ahhh, I am so glad you took her in... Something didn't feel right to me (I used to be a tech). Hopefully she'll pull through, and when she's home, just watch her really well. Good luck and keep us posted!

4. needmoresilkies

needmoresilkies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Columbus Ohio
    poor thing! I hope she is ok. Make sure to post what happens

5. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I will post the outcome in the morning. Sadly, I have to wait until the morning to find out if she made it through the night.

thanks!

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    aww, she has a great chicken parent (mom or dad). how sweet! i'm so glad u took her in. poor girl. i feel so bad for her. but thank goodness she's in good hands. not many chickens are so lucky. good for you! :)

7. JenellYB

JenellYB Chillin' With My Peeps

Did she have access to oyster shell or other mineral grit? Only 2 things i can think if, 1st,if she didn't have oyster shell or other mineral souce, she over ate the sand trying to get it and the sand wasn't satisfying. 2nd, in cage birds, overeating grit can be a signt he bird was already sick and they will sometimes do that.
    What kind of diet are you feeding?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  8. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Poor thing, I hope she is able to make a full recovery! I have to watch mine because they seem to be gobbling up sand like crazy, at first I thought they were digging deep for bugs, but one seems to be gobbling sand. I do have oyster shell in the run though.

9. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    how is she? any news?

10. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    my chicken seems to eat anythingnew so every week when i change the coop she will eat the straw/ hay and recently ive decided to try shreded paper i read it was good and can be burnt afterwards for pot ash and sheseems to have takena liking to paper too !

thankfully she is ok and has nothad this problem, im hoping this habit will stop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by