X rocks

Sam208

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
I would like to raise a few for meat to see how they taste but i dont want to order 25 chicks in case i dont like them.

so I would like to know is there any place that you can just get 2-4 birds to try.

thanks sam:/

I want to know this also
big_smile.png

~Bryan

X rocks = Cornish Cross Rocks?

If so, if you like the meat from the supermarket you are eating X rocks. The ones from your backyards are even better! They taste cleaner, less watery (less brine), and are more filling.

thanks for the posts. I wasnt sure if they were the same as the stores are not.

thanks sam

The smallest meat bird order I've ever seen (shipped) is 15. Some hatcheries have a small order program in which they pack disposable layer breeds (males) to keep the others warm. Then you can do what you want with the disposables, like dispose them. Or, if you're too kind hearted, keep them as pets, and probaby regret it later.
wink.png

If you can find anyone else in your area that raises meat chickens, you'd probably be best off asking if you could buy a couple from them the next time they order. That's how I got started.

EDIT: Oh, some farm stores carry chicks, but mostly only in the spring months. The "Family Farm and Home" near me is still carrying them as of last weekend.

Last edited:
thanks

When the Xrocks are a week old are so do they need a heat light?

thanks sam

Quote:
For the first week, they should have access to an area of 90-95 degrees (F). After that, you can subtract around 4 degrees per day. By 3 weeks, they should not need any heat lamp unless temps are below 40.

Last summer, I brooded my second batch for only 2 weeks, then put them out in their pen, since the forecast said night time temps were supposed to be 60 or above. They did great. But definitely give them a heat lamp or other heat source up until they are about 2 weeks.

I'm a vegetarian but we just got through raising 25 Cornish X and the family just LOVES the way they taste. You can honestly make a meal out of the wing, they got that big in ten weeks.
You just treat them like any baby chick except that they should be on a higher protein feed and then you switch to only allowing them feed for 12 hours a day. Give them PLENTY of water, these guy grow while you're watching them so they are VERY messy and eat a LOT of food.

thanks I dont think the meat chicks could stay in the house . shoulds to messing in the cage.

do they pick each other as bad as other chickens will?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom