XL Air Cell - Do these have a chance? - Update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plumcreek, Mar 21, 2012.

1. plumcreek

plumcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I haven't had air cells get this big before. I mostly ignored the humidity this time as it has been so humid here....but I guess not enough. Do eggs with air cells this large have a chance?
    I noticed this as I candled them while I was moving them to lockdown. They were set 3/3
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. plumcreek

Aug 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  3. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    i see what looks like a beak in the second pic.
    the more pourous the egg the more they do that..the darker shells the harder time even grow an air cell..you have to be a little bit of a scientist with it.you have to add a little or dont add any depending on how things look. i have had some in the same hatch dry down very fast and others were real stubborn about even growing an air cell..same time same bator forced air..it all depends on the porous shell of each egg...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  4. plumcreek

Aug 2, 2010
    It does seem like there are shapes above the line but it is way too early for that....

I tried to increase the humdity as much as possible. I sprayed the inside of the lockdown one with a mister and filled the trays and put some wet paper towels on the side without eggs. Can they rehydrate at this point? One of them is almost halfway down. I do think there is movement though. Is there a chance or is that just too much?

Never had this before and many of these eggs are fine, its only about 5 of them.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    In my limited experience, the eggs do not rehydrate. However, I also don't see this as a dooms day event. Wait and see if they internally pip on time,and then track the progress. You may need to assist. I have had chicks externally pip but make no more progresss. UPon carefully opening the egg, the creature was glued along the back and could not twist to zip. Gave the chick a warm water bath and all was well.

Sooo . . . don't give up. You don't know the outcome until after the hatch is finished. No matter how it goes, you learned an important lesson , to check the air sell development earlier in the incubation period when you can alter the air cell development. We all live and learn.

I do think you have a good chance of some hatching. I have seen pics of the egg that is half air cell, really, it was half. No hatching there. Yours are only a little bigger than ideal. DO post when y ou have a result . . .I would like to know how it turns out!!! GL!

6. plumcreek

Aug 2, 2010
    Now they are hatching, two days early. I would think I had the day wrong but I wrote 3/3 on almost all of them. One even says 3/4, about half of them have pips this morning.

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    [​IMG] YAY !! Often the chicks pip and zip before the end of day 21. You maybe right on time by the time the little one zip and stand. Your heat maybe a tad on the warm side and that speeds up the growth of the egg into a chick but you will not know this for sure until hatching is finished.

[​IMG]

8. plumcreek

Aug 2, 2010
    One of the ones that was the most affected has pipped....in the middle, but its trying!
    [​IMG]

I have hatched a lot of chicks in this incubator with this same thermometer and never had them early. This is just a strange batch! One is already out running around.

9. AllyJane

AllyJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Please, keep us updated ^^

10. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Looking good!!! I help out if they are not out in 24 hours, just my rule. Seems like after that they fade away. TO help or not, is a personal choice. Just saying what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by