Xmas in Nebraska (Iowa)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by XmasDucklings, Dec 6, 2012.

1. XmasDucklings

XmasDucklings New Egg

Dec 6, 2012
    I am wanting to purchase some ducklings for my mother! she lives in Iowa on an old stone quarry there is plenty of open space along with a swimming lake and a fishing lake! I am currently thinking of going to efowl.com and it says that they "suggest" (they really just make it cheaper) that you purchase a minimum of 4. is that too many? she has the financial means and the space and time and what not, but will they bond with her if she has 4? i know it depends on her a lot and her interaction with them but while she is working during the day they are going to have eachother (some times my dad too) im just a little nervous i grew up in valley nebraska so i couldnt have ever had ducks but i have always thought it would be so awesome and now my mom has the space and the freedom to do so i just dont want to mess it up! thanks for helping! i appreciate it all! hope to hear from some of ya soon!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] That sounds like a great present! I can't give you any tips on ducks, sorry, I'm a chicken keeper me, but why don't you pop in at the Ducks section? Read a few threads, get an idea of the different breeds and their characteristics etc. You can of course also ask the duck owners there to make some suggestions and give you advice. They're a very nice bunch of peeps. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG].

1. You can not just throw ducks on a lake. They are still easy catchings for any predator.
    2. I would not go with efowl. Many people have had issues with them on here.
    3. I always advise at least 2 ducks. However the only place I know that ships two is Metzers. The more ducks you have the harder it is for them to bond with you.

1 person likes this.
  4. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I would heed the written advice. And good luck! [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, XmasDucks, and [​IMG]! Great idea! Hope you locate some quackers!!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. x2 everything Kevin said. Good luck [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Hi and welcome from Ohio [​IMG]

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens