1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Xrayed emu eggs

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by farmerChef, Feb 23, 2012.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I have 2 emu eggs that I xrayed this morning. One was supposed to hatch last week, and the other I just got Sunday, but it is rotten.

The rotten one (we used the R for rotten [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

And the other one, it was bought on eBay and shipped. Looks like it was scrambled or infertile.
    [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I have one from ebay that jiggles inside. I am assuming the membranes ruptured during shipping. I got the other eggs from 3 different breeders and 5 are losing proper weight according to the "Emu Rancher's Handbook" One is probably going to be tossed out.

3. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    That's pretty neat! I really wish you would've had at least one chick but thanks for the interesting look inside the egg, if there was a chick inside we would've been able to see it, which is pretty cool. Is that X-ray machine different than the ones the post office uses? I've heard when they X-ray eggs during shipping it can make them messed up or not hatch but maybe it wouldn't hurt a chick that's pretty far developed? I mean if you X-rayed a baby chick it wouldn't kill it so maybe it only affects eggs that haven't begun developing yet? That'd be an interesting experiment...

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I dont know what the PO uses, I'm guessing it might be something like they have at the airport that they use to scan the bags. My Mom works at a Animal Hosptial and they have a digital xray. I've seen where people say if the eggs get xrayed they won't hatch. I dont have emus, but I do have chickens, I dont know if anyone has done a study on it. Maybe I could try it with some chicken eggs??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by