XX Large brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisinemright, Jan 18, 2014.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Quick question for yall. I have 6 Golden Comet Chickens just a bit over 1yr old. They lay what I thought was pretty large beautiful brown eggs. But I went out for breakfast with my family to a little country diner/general store that sells "farm fresh eggs". there was two different stacks one just said eggs and the other said large eggs. I was curious as to what the large looked like so I opened a carton of them up and to my surprise they were freaking huge brown eggs!!! I would say every bit a half again larger than my browns. So back to my question which breed of large brown egg layers lay the biggest of the chicken eggs? Because I just may have to get a few of them for my flock! I am assuming they must be a pretty good layers too. Thanks for any input on this subject.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Production reds that are older will often lay extra large or larger eggs - they also lay fewer eggs than when they are younger.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You may get an increase in size from your hens when they start laying again after their first adult molt.

4. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks, when should they start to molt? they turned 1 in Dec!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Probably not until next fall.

6. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    If they did not molt this year, I would guess they won't until next fall...but I'm not sure. Ours also turned 1 year this December, but they went through a molt (not heavy, but moderate) from late September through December (different ones molting at different times and taking different lengths of time to complete the process). During that time we got almost ZERO eggs. However, now that they've started laying again, we are getting large eggs and LOTS of them. We have a variety of different breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by