1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Y close the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WiscoChiko, Sep 18, 2010.

1. WiscoChiko

WiscoChiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Portage county WI
    I have a big closed run attached to my coop, is there any other reason other than fear of predators to close it at night? My hens go in every night on their own. I have been closing it but not sure why just seems most people do? Thanks W.C.

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    I don't close my coop at night unless it is cold. They have a well protected run and like to come and go as they please. I like them to has much outside time as they want... and when I am home, they have free range of our fenced yard.

D

3. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I would close them up predators are very smart. And raccons will reach in through the wire to grab your chickens. Of course it also depends what predators you have in your area [​IMG]

Good Luck
    Maddie

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    A run, no matter how well-made, can be breached if given enough time. Predators have 8 hours of darkness each night to work at it. Chances are good that they will succeed. A coop can be made secure, but a run cannot.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Right now they've got about 12 and it's getting more every day.

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have a very secure run: heavy duty Chain link fence completely encloses the run which is buried two feet deep and extends two feet out in an "L" shape. It's on 6x6 posts.. At every seam, We used huge fence staples and then bolted two 2x6 boards together and screws every 4"--so the fence can't be pulled thru. There is 1/2 " hardware cloth 3' from the ground and is also buried in the ground two feet.. I have four large hounds that patrol my yard..ALL that said-- I would NEVER leave my coop door open at night! I have seen squirrels squeeze thru the chain link fencing and come and go in the run at their will--eating my chicken food and drink from their waterer! I feel like if they can do it so could other really determined predators... We have tons of cats, dogs, coons, possums, snakes.. and I am sure their are others I haven't mentioned!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I close mine up every night after they go to roost. I'm a very early riser, up before it gets light, so I let them out a daybreak.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  9. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have what I believe to be a very sercure run, but I still lock them up everynight. It is for peace of mind for ME! I have only four and it would devastate me to loose any because of something I did or didn't do.

10. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I close everything else up other than the little door on the coop. I've never worried about anything getting in because we only have a couple predators we need to worry about where i live, but wildlife seems to be coming down toward the houses. they used to stay up in the canyon, but they are coming close. there have been tons of deer sightings, we saw 2 does right in our yard, they came up about 10 feet from us, both of our neighbors have had bucks in their properties. Friday morning, we were driving down the road and a Coyote shot across the road, i couldn't believe it. they rarely come into the houses like that, but there it was not far from my house. a coyote could right through the chicken wire if it was hungry. knowing the coyotes are getting closer, you guys think i should lock up the coop at night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by