y do i find half eaten eggs in the boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bratgirlof4, Dec 30, 2012.

1. bratgirlof4

bratgirlof4 New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Olivehurst CA
    can anyone tell me how i can get my hens to stop eating the eggs. its not an everyday thing but its kind of a pain to go out and see half gone eggs in the boxes and the 4-5 eggs in a nother box not even messed with? my hens are 8 monthes old or so.im have great laying hens and now they are eating the eggs. could it be we are in are winter and they are board lol. can anyone help me

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Before you blame the chickens, take a look at the security situation. Do you have any openings to the coop/run that are the size of a quarter or larger? If so, it's probably rats. If you're using 2x4 wire or there are other, larger openings around the gate or something, there are a number of other egg-eaters that could be sneaking in (opossum, skunk, jays, weasels, etc.) So, unless you have that coop secured with small-hole hardware cloth all around or you've actually seen a hen eating eggs, I wouldn't be so quick to presume it's the chickens. Time to do some detective work.

3. bratgirlof4

bratgirlof4 New Egg

Apr 13, 2012
    Olivehurst CA
    thank you ill make a good look around.

4. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Also try collecting your eggs more often. This may allow for less time for an egg eater to get to eat an egg if it is the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by