Ya I'm new... question! Okay in City but not in subdivision.

Hunny

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
I have thoroughly searched my cities ordinances, and so far I'll I've come up with is;

"It shall be unlawful for any person to allow chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys or other domestic fowl owned by or under the control of such person to run at large within the city."

However, I remembering when buying our house, reading that fowl and livestock were not allowed.

We have no neighbors behind us, a 6ft privacy fence. Live on a corner.

And.....one nosey neighbor, I think asking her about it would send her in a rage....not telling her may be a better option
wink.png

I plan on getting 3-4 laying hens, no roo.

Opinions, advice?
I honestly think, even ms nosey neighbor will not know. (she went all last year without knowing I had a garden or trampoline for the kids in my backyard)

that's a tough call, how long ago did you get your house? maybe the ordinance was amended since then? are you in a HOA? I have read some laws about cities saying you can have chickens, but you have to go by what you HOA says, and then there are nice folks like you that go ahead & get a few hens(under cover) and everything is ok, & then there are people who go out & get all set up, & have problems, & that's sad because you become bonded with your birds, I would love to give you better advice, but i think in this case you need a more experienced BYCer, best of luck to you!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
No HOA, and honestly after driving around our new neighborhood, not alot of ppl seem to care about city ordinances, much less the neighborhood ones! We moved her 6 months ago. Majority of our neighbors are college age, or older couples.

Quote:
No HOA, and honestly after driving around our new neighborhood, not alot of ppl seem to care about city ordinances, much less the neighborhood ones! We moved her 6 months ago. Majority of our neighbors are college age, or older couples.

My experience with ordinances is that they are only there for people to harrass other people with... no one will enforce them until someone complains. The choice is up to you if it is worth it.

My last place was in city limits and there was a leash law on cats. No one follows it, but we had a crazy neighbor who messes with all the people around. Her thing with us was our cats were allowed out. NINE court cases later, the judge told her to drop it. We had to pay court fees and fines everytime.

well, it seems by the ordinance, that you can have them but they cant run lose,(at large)(must be in a pen) so maybe the seller of the house was not informed about the ordinance? and you are not in a HOA, so, i don't see a problem.......

Last edited:
At large does not mean they must be penned. It means they cannot run loose on property not your own. If they are kept within your own property boundaries, they are not at large; if you allow them to roam the neighborhood, they are.

However, the lack of an HOA does not mean that there are no deed restrictions on the property. Check your deed to see if there are any restrictions. While there may be no official body to enforce them, it is likely that anyone in the neighborhood could sue to enforce them if desired.

Quote:
Whenever I read any of the posts I always wait with anticipation to see what Sonora Silkies is going to say. She is the resident expert! I say that with the up most respect.
frow.gif

I honestly hate to be one who would cast a rain cloud over your vision for chicks. However, it would behoove you to make a 200% effort to make sure you can have chickens via your homeowners association rules, go to the city in person and make someone there provide information to you about the municipal code and/or poultry, and yes contact your nosy neighbor. Sure as shootin' if you just go ahead and do your thing without the extra precautions, the nosy neighbor will be the one to cause problems and you will wind up heartbroken. Look up a few posts from people who have been there and done that and save yourself possible grief.

Quote:
Thank you for your valued opinion
big_smile.png

Do you feel that, if someone complained the city would just shrug it off? IE Person with complaint would have to involve suing/lawyers the whole deal?

Thank you !

I'm feeling pretty confident I'll be okay (heck I got the fuzzy butts today
wink.png
) But I would like to be very informed on this, in case something ever where to come up. I also think that my garden will provide enough maters and cucumbers to hoard off the nosy neighbor
big_smile.png
Thanks again for everyones input.

Quote:
I appreciate your input. There is no HOA.
The only thing I can remember was about "no raising livestock and swine" in the CCNR- I will have DH pull out our paperwork, but the more we talk about it, we feel like it was written so that we couldnt raise for profit.

Back
Top Bottom