1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ya just never know....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melodym78, Jan 20, 2012.

1. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    Last week the little boy my daughter babysits for cranked up my incubator up to 112 degrees! [​IMG] all this on the day before the eggs were due to hatch..It was like this for about 3 hours before I found it. My heart sank! Luckily these were chicks from my own flock and not purchased eggs. So I pitched them in the trash,Tthen I thought well I guess I should candle them. I candled all of them and no movement....well except for one I thought. I put it in the hatcher and just left it alone. [​IMG] I come home after work today and the little booger is zipping! [​IMG] My miracle chick...I think it is a little silkie but not sure. Ill post pics when he is out...just goes to show,,,Ya never know!

2. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Time to hotwire the bator. ;)

3. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    lol I was ready to hotwire his hind end! All I could think about was those poor babies cooking to death...but to have one survive is a miracle!

4. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Well, I guess you have a name for it then. :) and yeah, I'm afraid that that kid's hiney woulda been REEEEED. Unless it was a tot then they just don't know better .

5. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    No he is nine and KNOWS BETTER...I threatened them all not to touch my chicks and the bators! so do ya think I should name it Vegas coz it beat the odds???

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    OMGosh! NINE! My son is nine and he would never do something like that. UGH! What gets into some kids' heads??!!

And YES I think Vegas is an awesome name. :)

7. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    He is old enough to know better...my 2 year old grandson doesn't even mess with the chicken stuff.. he loves the palk palks...helps me gather eggs every day and love to help feed..he is so gentle with the new chicks. He sees the eggs and says " ahh Grammy cute baby eggs..." but he is a farm kid too! enjoys the goats and horses as well. The nine year old is a kid who is not exposed to farm animals. Makes all the difference in the world!

8. melodym78

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana

Little Vegas is the one with his head towards the camera
    It is a bantam Cochin chick

[​IMG]

9. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

[​IMG]Ooooh If that kid ever did that to me ...............[​IMG]. I feel so sorry for you[​IMG] it truly is a great that that one hatched, and I see that another chick has hatched as well [​IMG] good luck with your chicks(and that kid....)

10. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Farm kid or not... don't touch means "Keep your little, dirty, friggin' paws OFF" I told my 9 year old and his jaw hit the floor. Now keep in mind, my child is not perfect. He struggles with mild autism and even HE knows better.

I'm glad little Vegas is doing well. :) I wanna see him all fluffed out and strutting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by