YA KNOW d@%n rabbits!

birdnutz

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
wyoming
Do every thing to protect chickens,ducks,etc. Never thought I'd have a problem protecting my car!! DH went to start the car to go to work. Wouldn't turn over,but the fuel pump was going. Opened hood and out pops a rabbit. Making a snack of the wiring is what I'm guessing. Now it's fix car day tommorrow. Any ideas how to discorage this one??

I've heard of pulling rabbits out of hats but this is a new one on me!! Sorry about your car!
I wonder if there's a bunny repellent you can get, maybe something used for gardens?.
JJ

Boy that sucks! I've heard of rats in cars but not rabbits! My friend who works as a car tech once had to take apart someone's car to get out a big stinking dead rat because they could not drive in it it smelled so bad. With all the rain here... hard to drive with windows down...

Ugh!!! Many moons ago when I lived in the city I use to thump my hands on the side of my car as I walked to the door . The thumping was to let the rats under the hood know I was going to start it.

Most times they jumped out. I was always paranoid one would get inside and come under the dash when I started the engine.

**bad flash back** .......lol

Good luck with the wiring... who knew bunnies would get up in there.

Julie
smile.png

Well I found a guy that loves to eat bunnies. Told him he's more than welcome to come out and take down the population a bit. We don't have the rat problems(thank God). I was told that the rabbits eat the wiring because it's a sugar base rubber in the coating(I have no clue). But have always had a problem with vehicles that sat along time. This car hadn't even been sitting 12 hours. We've also lost 100s of feet of irrigation hose because of them,so cute but sooo destructive. I thought about moth balls,then decided they'd probably really STINK on top of a car motor.

Keep us posted on what you find. I find it very hard to believe
a rabbit chewed through car wires. Chipmunks, mice, rats, sure, but
rabbits??? This is a new one.

We have a cat that went for a ride in my dh's truck one time. He drove a few miles to a friends house, hearing a thumping the whole way....he thought something was wrong with his truck so he opened the hood when he got there and out popped/ran our daughters' cat. Luckily it ran up to the front door of the house he went to and, I don't know how, but he caught her and she was fine :eek: But we have another one that has a permanent limp from trying the same thing.......They love the warmth from the engine.....and then there's the bird seed we kept in the garage that some mouse must've dragged into the gove box of my minivan...........................
tongue.png

We used to have a house rabbit and it eat anything that looked like a wire and or hose. Even the fish tanks air hose! it drained over 20 gal out of my 55gal tank. Rabbit is now at a kids farm.

In cold weather, thump on hoods before going anywhere. I once almost forget and then just before I started the car I heard a bunch of squirrels start arguing from inside the hood! I opened the hood and they came out, flying in all directions. They were just enjoying the warmth.

Check into the repellents people use to keep nibblers out of their gardens - should work for cars too.

A friend is using Mouse Magic to keep mice out of her engine - seems to be working.
JJ

Back
Top Bottom