Yaaaahooooo! I have a pip! Day 20, Delaware Blue Hens x 7! YIPEEEEE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ranchhand, May 2, 2009.

1. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    OK, I admit to being a little over the top excited here! [​IMG]

My first attempt at hatching Delaware Blue Hens was not very successful, I had some major humidity issues. Only 2 hatched. And they are gorgeous little hens, I think. [​IMG]

This time, I started with 14 eggs- 4 were scrambled in shipping, 2 developed blood rings fast, and 1 is looking like it quit about day 14-16. It's still in the bator, but marked in pencil, so I know which it is.

Today is Day 20, and one has a tiny pip! AND I can hear cheeping from the eggs! [​IMG]
    DBH eggs are small, about the same as grocery store mediums, so the day early is not a surprise. The humidity has been a little bit better this time. [​IMG]

I have discovered that the season makes a HUGE difference. My first hatch, in March, was fabulous. The house was closed up and the central heat running made it easy to stabilize the humidity and temp. The second hatch, the weather was temperate, and it would rain heavily one day and dry out the next. The house was open, no need to heat or cool. That was a disastrous hatch for the DBH, even though the other EE cross eggs hatched very well.

This third hatch is a bit off, but not as much as the second. The humidity has been the biggie in terms of adjusting, but the temp has remained steady.

I am using a Hovabator Genesis 1588 with the turner. I feel that hatching in this incubator is more successful in a controlled climate. From now on, I'll only set eggs when the house is either running on central heat or AC. Hope that info helps someone! Overall, I am pleased with the incubator.

Meanwhile, I am running around like a 16 year old with an invite to the prom! [​IMG]

I've got a pip!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Congrats ! We tend to learn from our mistakes, don't we.

3. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Yup, and I'm better at it now than I was when I was younger! [​IMG] I was such a rockhead!

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I wonder how many will be cockerels? Probably most of them.[​IMG]

5. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Just read your siggy more closely- good on you! I rescue, and I don't litter! Hope your hatch goes 100%!

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    TWO pips! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Most chicks pip with their egg tooth. In Ranchie bator her chicks use their comb.

9. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:lol, I hope you two know each other!

10. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:lol, I hope you two know each other!

Nope, never saw the old fart before! [​IMG]

Yes, katylester, we do, and Opa LOVES to tease me, because I hatch more roos than anyone around! I am apparently a testosterone magnet! [​IMG]

Even my other pets- I have a DH, who is obviously male, 3 large dogs all male, 3 cats, 2 of whom are male, as well as just last week I had 37 chickens, of whom 12 were roos. I was lucky and rehomed some roos, rather than sending them to freezer camp, so I now have 5-6 roos. And 7 eggs hatching as we speak!

Maybe I should start a prayer thread for only one DBH roo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by