Yachts are necessities now?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Dec 7, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'm speechless. I saw Stephen Colbert talking about this add on the Colbert report and looked it up to see if it is true. It is.

Talk about entitled!

I can not find a readable picture of the add so here are a few quotes from the add and from people writing about the add.

here is a quote from the add.

A letter from CEO Michael Joyce to all "successful people":

"Years ago buying a yacht like the 136' Hargrave 'DREAMER' pictured above was fun and exciting and represented a once-in-a-lifetime reward for those of you who made the sacrifices and paid the price to reach the pinnacle of your profession.

Today things have changed and successful people have now become the target of every two bit politician from the White House on down, tolerated by most on the right and vilified by most on the left. It almost seems like when they are not discussing ways to take away your personal assets they are drafting some piece of legislation that will shut down your business."

and another

"If you ever get discouraged and think nobody in the world cares about you and your dreams, trust me, the boating industry does!"

Here is something from "The WaterCooler"

Colbert Report features Hargrave Yachts ad

The new ad campaign for Hargrave Yachts with the concept that "In today's world, yachting is not a luxury, it's a necessity" drew the interest of the Colbert Report on the November 8 Comedy Central television show. Here's the ad that started the hooplah. The ad shown on camera was designed by Laser Advertising and appeared in the November issue of Yachts International magazine.

About the ad: The full headline of the Hargrave Yachts ad is "We used to sell yachts as luxury items, in today's world they're really a necessity." In addition to Yachts International, the ad is running in the November 2011 issue of Yachting magazine and also appeared in the August 2011 issue of Southern Boating magazine.

The ad was written by Michael Joyce, CEO of Hargrave Custom Yachts. Mr. Joyce has always taken a road less traveled in his approach to yacht marketing. Throughout the years he has often mixed his political commentary with his traditional yacht advertising in national and international publications. Sometimes his opinions are well received, sometimes not; but always noticed. Mr. Joyce's commentaries are some of the most widely-read posts in this blog. The ad was designed and produced by Laser Advertising, the Fort Lauderdale marine-marketing agency.

See the Colbert Report satirical take on the woes of the luxury market in the Comedy Central November 8, 2011 episode. The "Platinum Wealth Under Siege" segment starts at the 5:45 mark.

I didn't post links because some comments were less that family friendly.

2. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Maybe it's the 1%er's answer to OWS....The new definition of taking your wealth offshore.

3. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    On a recent radio news report, I heard that despite the current global economic woes, Tiffany's high end jewelry sales are solidly UP UP UP! It's nice to know that people can't afford food, but they can afford Tiffany jewels...oh wait, maybe it's because more people can't afford food that OTHERS can afford more jewels. And yachts apparently!!

4. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Of course yachts are not a necessity.

Neither are TVs, or more than one good pair of shoes, an i-phone, or a pet dog.

But we can all aspire to have more than we need to survive. That's the wonderful thing about capitalism, everyone has the opportunity if they work hard to be successful and have more than they need, to keep and use, or to bless others with. I don't begrudge anyone their yacht, as long as they are paying for it with their earned money. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason!

The problem is when crony capitalism takes over, and people don't have the opportunity because the country's wealth is siphoned off to pay political supporters, so that power can be taken advantage of and the government starts picking winners and losers. The poor will continue to suffer, while the pols get rich.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yachts are necessities now?

Of course. [​IMG]

Otherwise how would I get to my private island to feed my chickens? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:there is also a floating city that was built in the ocean. I forgot which coast it is off of. It is for the wealthy should society collapse. It has farms, hospitals, restaurant, everything you need...

I would love to see the rich try and farm their own food.

7. cameron

cameron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Heck, even I have a yacht.

It just looks liked a 18' flatbottom with a spraypaint camo paintjob, lights and platform for bowfishing, and racks for shotgun and fishin rod storage. It doesn't have a wine cabinet, but it has a livewell that keeps Coors pretty frosty if you drop in a bag of ice!

8. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Think about how many poor folks get work out of building these yachts. Not to mention the crew that will need to be hired.

This is what they are talking about with the tax cuts for the "job creators". I think it is the patriotic duty of every billionaire to go buy one or more yachts.

9. AlexMalix

AlexMalix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Quote:there is also a floating city that was built in the ocean. I forgot which coast it is off of. It is for the wealthy should society collapse. It has farms, hospitals, restaurant, everything you need...

Oh they would die of starvation and disease really quick. "What, they expect me to dig in the dirt to feed myself, where are the man servants?!"

10. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah

Oh they would die of starvation and disease really quick. "What, they expect me to dig in the dirt to feed myself, where are the man servants?!"

Probably, a lot of the 'rich' would starve. But to be fair, I bet if you took a hundred yacht owners and 100 people living off of food stamps, section 8 and other forms of tax-payer aid, and made them all farm thier own food, chop their own wood and whatnot... you'd end up with more yacht owners than welfare receipients. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by