YAH! I have my porch back! Maybe :/

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 27, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Or half of it at least.

The chicks executed a hostile takeover of the screened porch a couple of weeks ago. Now six weeks old they have taken it over completely. Not safe to walk out there without shoes on. Poop on everything! With 13 layer chicks and 18 meaties, they were rapidly outgrowing their extra large brooder anyhow. Plus, the layer chicks would go outside willingly every day but the meaties were forcing me to climb into the brooder with them, pick their chunky little fluffy butts up and carry them outside.
    Coop won't be ready for at least another week, if the weather cooperates.
    So today we built a fence to keep them confined to half of the porch. Their "brooder" is now roughly 8 ft. x 8 ft.
    They have plenty of room to run around, roosts to use at night, no more having to pick up the meaties they can just be shoo'ed out the door and we get half of our porch back. Tomorrow we're going to be busy with the pressure washer.

But then...I go out to check on them tonight to see how they are liking their new digs and find two of the salmon faverolles roosting on top of the 4 ft. fence! [​IMG]

Okay, so tomorrow we build a higher fence and THEN get the pressue washer out.

I will not be outdone by a bunch of birds. I will not be outdone by a bunch of birds. I will not..... [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Quote:Yeah, right!

I find if you have wire sticking up above the top of the top horizontal brace and they don't see anything to land on, they tend to not try to roost on the top of the fence.

Oh, by the way, I gave a broody a half dozen eggs tonight.

3. SallyF

SallyF Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Best laugh I've had all day, picturing you carrying the "chunky fluffy-butts" outside!

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's just mean! Okay, I have Tyson broilers and you don't, so [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I've actually gotten pretty good at it, can carry three at once - one tucked under each arm and one in my hands. Then I have to set them down real quick and run to close the door before they beat me back inside. [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana

I've never denied being mean. I doubt I ever will. My friends call me ruthless. I take it as a compliment.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

I've never denied being mean. I doubt I ever will. My friends call me ruthless. I take it as a compliment.

Ruthless Ridgerunner. I like that. [​IMG]

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Almost forgot, we're going to hold off on raising the height of the fence. The SFs decided to go back in the brooder this morning rather than run around on the porch.
    Checked on them first thing this morning and the look on their little faces was priceless. All standing at the fence looking out, sure they want out there but no quite sure how to go about it.

10. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Songster

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    gritsar, you changed your avitar?

Pretty shepherds, is Jax the darker one?

How do they get along with your chickens?

Mine is obessed, but he seems to want to protect them and keep them in their place. Haven't let them loose around him, but he gets to "sit stay" and look in the brooder while they fly around. The 4 week olds I have now are my second batch. The chickens do a warning chirp at my cats, but they run up to the wire to see Dasher. Anyhoo, just wondering.. [​IMG]

Hope your got your pourch back!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by