Yahew! I am in Germany. :D

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Fierlin1182, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hey guys. Seems like forever since I've posted in this section.
    I'm actually in Germany... wicked. Never thought this day would come round.
    We stopped over at London Heathrow, which was so epically awesome because I haven't been back to England for five years. :woot

My exchange family has a couple of cats. They are so adorable. one of them seems to perpetually want to run away from me at the speed of light. :lau
    My 'sister's father also has this COMPLETELY awesome model train set in the basement. It's like the size of a whole room with a huge control panel. He says I can help him build it. Yippee. :cool: (He built the whole thing himself)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That sounds amazing, lucky you! I want to visit Germany sometime, I have friends there that I haven't seen in years. I met them when they were holidaying in SA and I served them breakfast at their B&B. 12 Years later we're still emailing each other and they visited me once, but it's my turn now [​IMG]
    I hear Germany's beautiful. Whereabouts are you? And how long are you staying there?

3. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    If you get a chance do visit one, or more of the Christmas markets. I can highly recommend them as I have been to many over the years and they truly capture the magic of Christmas. My favourite is Cologne, in the square outside the Cathedral. The twinkling lights, the savoury smells of sausage, gingerbread and mulled wine, the beautiful handmade gifts and wooden toys, it is like stepping back in time. An evening stroll around the market followed by creeping into the cathedral to light candles and listen to the choir rehearse carols. AAAAH..... the magic of it!!

4. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011

I'm in Hamburg for two months.
    I'm not sure if there'll be christmas markets here... actually, that was a stupid statement. I'm pretty sure there will be, but I haven't seen any sign of them yet. :p Not sure if festive decorations at the supermarket counts... lol jk.

Well today I started my great adventures by going to school. It was pretty cute. They'd hung up a massive Australian flag to welcome me and the other girl. We spent the whole day talking english together. :p
    (And it's a co-ed school, which was weird because I'm usually at an all girls.)
    Apparently everyone is very into some "YOLO" thing at the moment...

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's sweet of them! My old high school didn't make an effort for exchange students. Not that we had many, which makes it worse!

Here in Ireland the Halloween decorations came down and the Xmas ones went up immediately. I think I prefer the Xmas ones! LOL So you'll be having a white Xmas this year. For a change!

6. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Yes, I hope I will! I am looking forward to that and new years. It's going to be a blast. :p

At my school there are always so many exchanges. It's quite scary. They do Germany, France, Spain, China and even New Zealand for the younger girls. o.o

Here's some (pretty bad) pictures for you:
    [​IMG]
    View out of my window. (The trees and stuff are so european. :p It's very nostalgic)

[​IMG]

That's the Eisenbahn if I've even spelt that right.

7. newfoundland

newfoundland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    I'm sure there will be Christmas markets in Hamburg, they usually open about now towards the end of November and run until just before Christmas. You haven't experienced Christmas until you have had a European one, I say. Christmas is less commercial and so much more about religion, meeting loved ones and friends and enjoying the atmosphere. The thing that impresses me most is the atmosphere of the markets, young and old just strolling around having a wonderful time and everyone feeling part of it. Elderly ladies are quite free to roam around the busy streets at night, soaking in the sights, sounds and smells. Not a thing you would do in London, for example! Oh the romance of it!!

1 person likes this.
  8. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Here, I'll save you from awkwardness. YOLO stands for You Only Live Once. At least, that's what it stands for over here in America. [​IMG] Hope you have a blast!!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Oh yeah, thanks I got that quickly enough. It was very awkward when my fellow Aussie told me because I found out I was laughing at something else... :lau

10. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    It's five thirty in the morning. Such uncharacteristic behaviour for me. I usually have to get dragged wailing out of bed in the morning. :p

A very impressive performance was 2 o'clock on Monday, and the hilarious thing is it's not even jet lag any more.

I just got my chemistry exams to do. I will do them... only because I like chemistry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by