1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yakima, WA Silkie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Crisx08, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Crisx08

Crisx08 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Yakima, WA
    Hi everyone. Decided to join after my last bantam chicken went missing a month ago and I decided that it was time to maybe get some new chicks. My Bantam that went missing her name was Hazel and I had her over a year. And now I'm starting over with new chicks that were silkies. Sadly one already passed away. My guess is the transition from the barn I purchase them from and the two-and-a-half-hour trip to my Valley was very stressful on the poor little thing. And the heat over here was over 100 degrees even though they have been inside. So I have just one little chick and I'm hoping it's a girl. The silkie breed is new to me though hope to find out more while I'm here.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh I am so sorry for all your losses! [​IMG] It is never easy to lose them no matter how.

Silkies can be fragile. And they do need extra TLC when it comes to heat, cold and even extra vitamins.

You might do some chatting in our Silkie thread so as to better understand your birds...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Silkies sure are adorable however. Good luck with your new birds, I hope they bring you great joy!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to hear you lost Hazel and one of your new chicks. It's always very sad when we lose beloved animals. Please do check lit the silkie thread where I'm sure other keepers of them will be able to help you out. You might Laos like to pop by the breed focus on silkies ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048544/chicken-breed-focus-silkie

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies are not the most robust breed in regard to temperature - way up or way down. You may want to consider breeds that can handle your climate.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Sorry for your losses. I would strongly suggest getting another 2 chicks to keep your existing chick company. Chickens thrive when they have other chickens around them.

All the best
    CT

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your losses! Please do consider getting your lone chick some company. Chickens are very social creatures and do much better with company of their own kind.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Crisx08

Crisx08 Just Hatched

Jun 4, 2016
    Yakima, WA
    Hi everyone! Thank you for the warm welcome. Apparently i am known as the chicken lady becase someone dropped off a baby chick at my mothers house for me! Its a road island red hen which I'm concerned about since they are definitely not bantam sized. And my chickens live in doors with me wearing the little diapers.
    Also i saw on the bottom of her feet looks like bumblefoot! I immediately soaked her, cleaned her, hydrogen peroxide it, and bandaged her up keeping her away from my one week old silkie Luna. Going to go to the animal store tomorrow for some antibiotics. Gave her some save a chick water though. Hopefully that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by