Ya'll ain't gonna believe this!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smokeater413, Dec 9, 2011.

1. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    About 3 months ago I started losing chickens to foxes, 12 in all. So I went hunting, In accordance with state regulations, and eliminated 4 of those predators. Tonight came home to find 2 more foxes heading towards the chicken pen. Believe it or not but I managed to be quiet enough to get a shot off with a .22 rifle and eliminate 1 more. I thought they only ran in pairs, How in the world do I have 6 of them in my area and I live in the city limits? All of them are Red Foxes. took pics of about 3- 4 of them after the kill.

2. RoosterLover15

RoosterLover15 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Down in the boondocks
    That's ridiculous! I live out in the country and we have possums we have to watch out for. We had one fox come around and it about killed my rooster I was so upset. It's a miracle he pulled through. Our beagle chased him off and haven't seen any since. Hopefully they stay away!

3. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

That's interesting. The theory I've heard is that the local predators eliminated in question, other predators will quickly fill the void in that territory. So, maybe the two foxes you saw are actually out of towners trying to take over the territory that was recently vacated.

Jim

4. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    way too many with chickens.
    around here you can get around $125 for the red fox hide.with 6 of them that could get you some more coop securities or even more chickens.

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Sounds like a pair raised a litter (or more) and babies didn't get the "move along" notice...

6. Cluckin'Crazy4them

Cluckin'Crazy4them Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    NW Oregon
    My motto is to eliminate the criminals that were caught the act. Foxes are individuals. Some more fearful of humans, and better hunters. Others are more clever, brave (or dumb, however you see it), and hungry for a fat, juicy bird.

My grandmother and her chicks have lived in harmony with their local foxes ever since she got Shadow and a gun (11 yrs. [​IMG] ) to kill the ones that couldn't learn [​IMG] "a chickininnatrap= foxtrap", my gramps even said [explicit] "fuxtrap"
    Anyways, they still see foxes on their property from time to time [​IMG]
    Get a big, territorial, dog!

Quote:X2 ... [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fox do have territories - frequently these territories overlap with those of other fox. Remove a resident pair, and another sets up housekeeping. Every year for the past 9 or 10 I have snared fox on a 35 acre piece of land. The least I have taken in a year was 8 and the most was 28.

8. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    You could install electric fencing to mark your territory [​IMG]

9. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:In the state of Florida I cannot hunt or possess (sp?) their hyde without a special permit, however if they are threating my livestock i can shoot the legally but cannot sell hyde. wish i could have though. They were very beautiful animals.

And by the way, I have just ordered 20 white leghorns and 20 black australorps that will be in next week. Getting mighty nervous.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by