Ya'll are KILLING me!! :-)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cblakley0531, Mar 11, 2012.

1. cblakley0531

cblakley0531 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop
    I'm getting SO stinkin' anxious to build my coop and raise some chickens! :) We're making a big move Sept 30th and the plan is to start building a coop ASAP so I can get some little ones that coming Spring. I can't tell you all enough how much I appreciate you sharing your coops that you all have built and the information you share on here. You guys definitely make the information extremely accessible and your personal stories/input are awesome!! THANK YOU!

My parents (that we'll be living with for a bit after the move) want green/blue eggs, I would love to get a variety of colors, so these are the breeds I'm thinking of so far...

Buff Orpington
    Easter Egger/Araucana/Ameraucana
    Olive Egger
    Astralorp
    Sussex
    Maran

Not sure how many chicks I'll be able to have when I get to figuring out how big of a coop I can make, so I may have to narrow that list down :-(

What do you all think? Will they be happy with one another? :) Are any of these breeds going to drive my neighbors nuts? (not that I care TOO much since we're not in the city or anything - I'll just offer them fresh eggs to sweeten the deal haha! I want to try to be nice though and make sure the breeds I get aren't too obnoxious)

I would love everyone's thoughts/feedback!

Much Love,

Caty

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    All mellow breeds, but chickens are like people and have their own personalities. You list should be fine together. Are you not going to have a rooster?

3. those look like good breeds :) , but orpingtons (not that they are annoying) tend to talk to themselves, ours just kinda clucks to herself, its really cute, it goes kinda like:

"Cluck cluck, how was your day"
    "Cluck Cluck good"
    "Cluck Cluck why did the chicken cross the road"
    "Cluck Cluck, uhh, cause he wanted to eat the lettuce on the other side?"
    "Cluck Cluck, no, she didnt want to be caught!"

then she'll start clucking louder like shes laughing LOL, oh and BTW- she was talking to herself in the little conversation i made up [​IMG] its cute

ive heard other orpingtons do the same, but they arent loud while they cluck to themselves,

4. cblakley0531

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop
    Gosh, sorry it took so long to reply! I kinda lost track! haha! As of right now, I don't plan on having a rooster until we get our own place. Since we'll be living with my folks, they'd like to avoid having one for now. I'm bummed, but I definitely want to respect their wishes, especially since I thought them getting chickens was a shot in the dark! HAHA! I guess since I'm a stay at home Mom and really really want them, they were okay with it ;-) Plus, I found out that my Mom always wanted green and blue egg layers, so this should be FUN!

5. cblakley0531

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop
    That is seriously ADORABLE! I wouldn't mind having a chatty Orp at all ;-) Thanks so much for sharing that! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by