Yall please give me advice !

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jessaw1981, Aug 12, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    my dig a big beautiful blood hound. kills my chickens to play with them. he had never messed them before untill my husband 's cousin flaped ones wings in his face its been on eversince then he dust bathed with them before this. I beat him with the last 2 dead ones and nothing. so this time (today) I got it and covered it with chilie powder. he bit it and then started licking his nose. any advice I keep them up but sometimes they get out. I think I'm going to let him stay in his chain and put chicken wire around his lot far enough back that he can't squish it and they wing scurry in there. I hope this works. he is such a good dog and he thinks he is doing something he has been shown to do.

2. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Hmmm... Chile powder, beating with a dead chicken... I would suggest this to be done to the husbands cousin right quick. Sad to see someone with nothing invested can cause such turmoil.... Hope it works out... It is a great thing to have harmony in a household...

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    When I was a kid old beagle men would break a rabbit dog from running deer by putting the dog in a 55 gal drum with a deer hide and leave him there for a few days. When the dog came out it had no interest in deer what so ever. Drastic? Maybe, but it worked. Bloodhound is bigger so maybe a closed in box. Stick the cousin in there also.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like you have some retraining to do. Both with the bloodhound and the cousin! It will take time and effort, but I believe it can be done. Otherwise, distance and barriers between the dog and birds are a good plan, if you can do it. Good luck. Not sure how to retrain the cousin - shock collar? Tie a dead chicken around his neck for a few days?

5. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    slug in de ed ot to brake m.
    [​IMG]

jk!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  6. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    I think the trussing of your husband's cousin would be the order of the day.....hang him by his feet and beat him with a
    feather duster....your choice of spices.!!!!

7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Please no flames but we had a dog that killed every bird we had a few years back. Every time we left the house we would come back to dead birds. The minute we drove in the dog took off. I would smack him but no use. We started to kennel him but it was a joke because the dog was there to protect the place when we were gone. Well an old farmer told us to tie the dead bird around the dogs neck until it stunk....Oh boy did we. We left it tied to he collar for like a week until it stunk so bad the dog would cry to get it off but we did not budge. We made him stay out side and sleep out there too for the week. He would paw at the bird and tug on it but could not free him self from it. Around 7 days I got to the point where it was so bad and nasty and flys were chasing the dog that I removed it and gave the dog a bath. Durring the tied period he never once wanted a bird but I think it was cuz he was carring a 5lb bird under his neck and he could not chase the live ones. Well we kept that dog and still have him and never once has he ever gone after them except when I have a net in had and he follows me all exicited but will not attack them. Good luck with what ever you do.

8. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    well thank you all for the advice. That dog is so good except that and its not his fault. I guess I might try that poor dog a couple of people told me that to lol guess he will just stink. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by