Y'all told me it would happen.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by totribet, Aug 13, 2011.

1. totribet

totribet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Moriarty, NM
    So I got my first six chicks almost 4 weeks ago. Today I went to the feed store to pick up some more feed for them and......yup....you guessed it....I came home with six new Rhode Island Reds. (at least I hope they are!) They didn't have the RIRs last time I went and that's what I really wanted. I had planned to get a few, but when I saw them today.....I had to have them!

So now what? How do I combine the 2 groups. They are within a couple days of being exactly the same age. I've got them in two separate cages sitting next to each other, but when I can I put them all out together? My hubby is SO not happy with me right now, LOLOLOLOL! [​IMG]

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    Haha you've now mastered chicken math! haha At that age if they're only a few days a part you could put them in together and they'll be fine. Maybe a little bit of pecking to start with but that won't last long. Little chicks don't start developing pecking order until a few weeks of age.

3. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I had two 9 week old RIR/EE mutts and brought home two four month old wyandott silver lace hens. I just put them together. For the first few days, one of my mutt chicks, bossed the wyandotts around and wouldn't let them go places in the coop. Now they all sleep together and follow each other places when they are free ranging.
    They are so cute together.
    If yours are the same age, and young, they really should just blend together perfectly.

4. Peeper

Peeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    Little Rock, AR
    I have a cuckoo maran roo that I hatched and I guess kept in the house too long because he doesn't care for chickens! He is crazy about my pygmy goat and sleeps on her back! And Katy bar the door when my daughters rat terrier/beagle goes out into the field, Chuck Taylor (my roo) runs and jumps on her back for a ride! Only problem is Chuck is getting pretty big now.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I still always wait at least 6 to 8 weeks before putting any birds from different places together. I learned the hard way!
    Specially with chicks, they can look great and then go downhill fast and carry the rest of the flock with them.

Many may disagree, but I don't ever put 2 groups together without isolating them first for awhile to make sure they aren't carrying any diseases.

6. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Quote:Wow what a good point.. I was going to reply that at their age they could go together....wasn't even thinking about the isolation thing....Very good point!

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:See!!!! This is why I LOVE this forum! There is always someone who has an answer that makes me say "Wow! I hadn't thought of that! Thank goodness I asked the questions!"

Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by