Yamahog Pop

Yamahog Pop

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2018
Greetings fellow Chicken lovers, (besides the eggs and meat benefits...), Our family lives on a small acreage, in the land of 10,000 oversized mud puddles (mistakenly referred to as “lakes”), vampires with wings and stingers (muscle for the Mosquito cartel, mistakenly called "nuisance bugs" by the uninitiated and uneducated..), unique politics (Yes, in a state of madness we elected someone called Jesse "the body" Ventura as our "leader"?!), snow mowers (My mower would get more use mowing snow!), And the four annual seasons of: White Insanity (When people place small shanties on questionably frozen mud puddles, Drive all kinds of expensive cars, trucks, and sporting vehicles across same questionably frozen mud puddles, drill holes in same questionably frozen mud puddles, buy expensive poles with fancy strings, hooks, and bobbers, all to drink (intoxicating?) beverages, fall through same questionably frozen mud puddles, become rescued (hopefully?), tell exaggerated tales of HUGE fish and great heroics, and (excitedly?) repeat. (let us not forget frost bite, skivvy jumping into same questionably frozen mud puddles, and highway bumper cars, where Darwin award candidates drive icy snow covered roads with excessive speed, usually damaging everything in their path; Some drivers can fill an acreage and boost the local economy in a single try, while walking away scratch-free! Think bumper cars without fencing.) This is followed by the brief season of Pothole planting, which molts into Gopher season (affectionately called Road Construction, detour, and lost tourist season), rounding out with the season of Purple-Gold frenzy, when many paint themselves in purple and gold, often without clothing, practice pig(skin) throwing, marvel at the changing colors of nature (usually after local brew testing and or wild plant smoking?), all while impatiently prepping for the return of white insanity season, questionably frozen mud puddles, and highway bumper cars (did I miss anything?). You don't have to have a sense of humor to live here; then again, maybe it’s a prerequisite..?!

We have about 50 chickens (leghorns, Isa Browns, Barred Rocks, and a handful that lay greenish eggs, never been quite sure of that breed. We sell some of the eggs, use some, and donate what is left. We have 1 cat, unknown breed, which turned our chicken house into a new home when someone dumped her here, (we have also found extra roosters from sources unknown roaming around. Never found where they came from.) She’s now part of our family, taking over chairs, beds, attacking anything that moves, including our Airedale terrier (Who is more of an overgrown puppy, with paws that are each larger than her entire body). Of course he plays back, in his oversized way.

We moved to this rural abode, (a commercial nursery in a prior life), almost a decade ago, leaving behind a fond city life of... (We'll let you fill in that part.) Our acreage has many interesting and uncommon plants, trees, and vegetation; left by the previous nursery, wild, uncared for, but with potential. We also enjoy visits from deer, wild turkeys, Opossums (often called possums), wolves, fox's, large turtles (yup!), Hawks, Garden snakes, ducks, Rabbits, Bald Eagles and Woodpeckers' (both beautiful and majestic) as well as gophers, voles, visitors, and squatters. The property is bordered by marsh, filling our own little Pond, which then flows to a nearby reserve, eventually reaching one of our many (large) mud puddles. Life's rarely dull.

The buildings were a bit rundown when we took over, but we have managed to bring them back to life. We have tried our hands at gardening, planting fruit bearing trees and bushes, we don't always have the best of results, but we keep trying. The chickens, of course, provide much needed fertilizer for our semi-green thumbs and a lot of entertainment.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC Broody with chicks.jpeg
Welcome to Backyard chickens!

G’Day from down under Yamahog Pop :frow Welcome!

:lau :gig Loved the intro! Thank You!

When I was typing your username I made a small typo which fortunately I picked up on .. only one 'o' in Pop Teila, not two! :p

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom