1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yard birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gogododo, Mar 6, 2009.

1. gogododo

gogododo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    I'm planning on building a coop with a run but i was also planning on letting the birds out to free range in the yard and such. Will they return to the coop/run at night? or do i need to call them/chase them home?

T

2. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    keep them put up for a couple of weeks in the coop theyre going to live in
    and around sundown, they will return home.
    be aware of predators

3. Lague Chickens

Lague Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Colorado
    I let them out of the coop every morning in the summer and they always returned to the coop at night

4. dave_Cash69

dave_Cash69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    kaintucky
    Oh, and [​IMG] from KY

5. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    They will find home. But whenever you put them in their new home, keep them in there for a few days, so they accept it as their new home.
    Maybe the first time you need to be at least close by to gently show them the door.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you want them to come back to the coop, keep them in there for a couple of weeks.

Also, if they won't be in an enclosed run, be prepared to lose some to predation.... that's just the way it is.

If I were where I could have yard birds, I get a hundred straight run pheasants.

7. gallo34

gallo34 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    they will return and so will everything else...close the coop at night...Have Fun![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by