Yard Pesticides

Cbostick

Hatching
Jul 12, 2018
I am suppose to be getting several chickens from my SIL however I just realized my husband recently treated the yard with pesticides for insects with a granular. Now I am afraid to get the chickens. Does anyone know how long I will need to wait after applying the granular?
What’s the next best option to insecticides for the future?

Best case, several nice 2in rains, but I’ve heard as long as 28 days for permethrin, which is safe for chickens, and as long as 60days. And wait that’s long for fertilizers too. I’ve ready not to eat eggs for that long too.

Permaculture says you don’t have an insect problem, you have a lack of chicken problem. Chickens will sanitize most bugs from the ground. Grubs and other ground dwellers are the only thing they can’t get to very often. Gnats are the only flying thing I haven’t seen mine eat.
I've seen my birds get them when they are on a piece of old fruit (OK those were fruit flies not gnats).
I save money letting my flock work for us beyond feeding people by insect and weed control sans buying poison, and free fertilizer and lawn dethatching, compost turning and scrap disposal.

Welcome to BYC!!! I'm so glad you thought of the pesticides before getting your chickens!

What's your general location, and what kind of bugs are you trying to control?

For the future, if you live in an area that doesn't allow free-ranging (or you aren't wanting to risk losses to predators, a "chicken tractor" that you can move to different areas of your lawn might be a good solution.

What kind of pesticides did he use? Are you able to post a picture of the pesticide. I would definitely wait. If there's no rain in the near future, are you able to use a sprinkler for several days?

Back
Top Bottom