Yard Sale! Barred Rocks $4 Each!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peapickinchicks, Sep 8, 2008.

1. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    My DH and I were at my Mom's Saturday she said she just came back from a yard sale that had chickens.[​IMG], I of course said where. So off to the yard sale we went BTW my DH already thought 10 chickens were plenty that I already have:lol: anyhoo, arrived there the poor things maybe 10-13 Barred Rocks shoved in a small cage barely any room to move. I was asking about the biddies and the lady didn't know much about chickens at all ( I wish I had the room to have taken them all ) She said she ordered them from McMurry and they were approx. 8 weeks old $5 ea. or if you buy more than one $4 ea. So I picked out what looked to be by me 2 girls and a guy, I took the guy that was smaller than the other guys who was missing a few tail feathers, I knew they picked on him. They all looked healthy but really shy, I believe they were kept in a small area, err..for goes the peckinest of them. They sleep in with my other girls and 1 silkie guy who does not want them near his silkie lady friend at all very evident of that, then they free range all day till today I'm dividing the coop till my others get just a little bigger their just 2 weeks behind the new ones. I don't like pecking I have been giving lectures to them all since day one about pecking and eating poo, they don't always listen, I will be posting chicken house rules and will refer to them if I have to.[​IMG], As for my 8 girls I ordered they are about 5.5 weeks old and I am wondering if one of EE is a guy , EE is infatuated with my white plymoth rock girl, chases her, pulls at her tail feathers and tries to mount her.[​IMG] who knows!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Please watch out for something to develop with your flock. Sounds like you got them and put them in with your others right away, but it's possible for seemingly healthy chicks to pass something to your others. I hope they are truly healthy for your sake. Too many heartache stories lately about ignoring quarantine procedures. Dont want to be a bucket of cold water, but I hate to see something take a downward turn in your flock.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. peapickinchicks

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thanks Speckledhen, I was so excited to have gotten them I forgot to keep em separated for 2 weeks for precaution, I do keep a close eye on them. My DH and I separated them last night because thy are pecky with my smaller ones, hopefully in a few weeks I will be able to put them all together again with less pecking they do free range together when we are home. I had been reading some post where folks had lost some of their smaller chickens to the bigger ones pecking on them, that scared me so I separated them, I picked up some DE as well and sprinkled in and outside coop, no mites, just as a precaution. Thanks again I will be cautious in the future, I don't want any harm to my biddies.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good luck with the new babies. Post some pics for us when you can. [​IMG]

5. peapickinchicks

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Oh I will be posting photos of my biddies as soon as I get to my Mom's home computer to do so. I am mostly on BYC when I am at work, I am an administ. asst and I am mostly only busy at the end of the month during billing so I can get on the internet when things are slow and I only have to enter a few things, file, and answer phones. I have the greatest bosses ever, I love my job. I just didn't want to take advantage of their kindess and start putting my photos on their computer, so soon I will post LOTS of photos for everyone including my new coop and run.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by