Yard spray

Nov 22, 2019
NC
My dad spray our yard with this. How’s long should I keep my chickens locked up? He spray it last year and I kept them in for about a week and don’t remember having any problems but I don’t want to risk anything. It says it’s safe for pets once dry.

Attachments

• E41520CD-9594-432D-B227-7C730C20C19E.jpeg
    E41520CD-9594-432D-B227-7C730C20C19E.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 43
  • EE4DA1AE-A062-4EED-AC60-5DD216652AD3.jpeg
    EE4DA1AE-A062-4EED-AC60-5DD216652AD3.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 10
Where does it say it's safe for pets? All I see are the warnings on the back, IMO you shouldn't be using such a potent/harmful product around your chickens at all, it says on the front three-month control, so I'd probably keep them off more than three months.

Spectracide® Triazicide® Once and Done!™ Cyhalothrin 0.25% Insect Killer Ready-to-Use

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Watershed/growgreen/products.pdf

Read this, and look at the ratings...your choice, but I wouldn't eat eggs from hens that have been exposed to this, just because they didn't show any adverse side effects doesn't necessarily mean none was ingested.
Agreed. Spectracide is a poison and carcinogenic. That is why they tell you to wear a mask and gloves when applying it. It's also systemic in plants meaning it will stay in the vascular system of the grass for months. The chickens may be fine being on that grass after a rain has washed it into the ground, but I would not eat the eggs if they have access to the area that was sprayed. Your call though..

Then do the same.
Do you remember if you got a good rain in that week?

Which probably means cats and dogs, who don't eat much grass like chickens do.
To be honest i’m not sure. It was in the summer and we don’t get much rain in the summer it is supposed to rain tonight I was thinking about giving a few good rains. What about the eggs? I don’t remember not eating them last summer and i’m fine.

Agreed. Spectracide is a poison and carcinogenic. That is why they tell you to wear a mask and gloves when applying it. It's also systemic in plants meaning it will stay in the vascular system of the grass for months. The chickens may be fine being on that grass after a rain has washed it into the ground, but I would not eat the eggs if they have access to the area that was sprayed. Your call though..
How long would you not eat the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom