Yard treatment and chickens

MamaHawk

Hatching
Dec 30, 2015
In the event of a yard being treated for mites/ticks/ect, how long would it take for it to be safe for the birds to be able to roam the yard again? Or would it even effect them?

Or would it not be safe at all? 0v0;;

Would depend on the chemicals that are used, you'd need to research the exact chemical(s).

Some chemicals are not safe for food animals to ingest.....
.....I would not want to eat eggs/meat form birds that ranged over chemical laden land.

Not sure why you'd bother letting birds range after killing all the insects out there that they like to eat.
<scratcheshead>

x2 what aart said! Yard treatments for insects will kill every insect, including beneficials, and doesn't sound like a good idea to me (remembering DDT!) You need to research exactly what products would be used, and their effects, before going forward. Mary

One of the reasons for having the birds roaming your yard is they are first rate bug zappers and that includes ticks. My daughter's place may have been the most tick infested place I've ever seen until she turn some chickens loose. They thinned the herd in a hurry.

So don't spray for them at all. Let the chickens clean them up, plus a whole host of other bugs like spiders and such.

Back
Top Bottom