Yard Work 10 a hour

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NYboy, May 12, 2010.

1. NYboy

NYboy Songster

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    At middle age my muscles take longer to recover from being sore. I needed to get some yard work done. I posted a ad on Craigs list for 10 a hour on sundays good for student. I didnt get 1 reply all week! I know NY is a expensive state, but is 10 ahour not good money for someone in school?

2. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Songster

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Hahaha...The kid down the street from me suggested I pay him $17 an hour because it was really sunny and he would rather be at the beach. So I guess $17 an hour makes up for that.

I just patted him on top of the head and waved goodbye. [​IMG]

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I'm a 30 something, and the way the job market is in michigan I would have snapped it up in a heart beat.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Thats what I pay here in Southwest VA and my voice mail usually overflows with little voices wanting the job.

I bet that there are men/women with families who would work that. Try re-wording your ad so they call you [​IMG]

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting topic! You mind sharing the link to the CL post?

I have a friend that is in construction and doesn't have any work. I thought we could help each other out, I'd give him work and he'd give me a good rate. He acted like it was beneath him to take under $40 an hour. I couldn't believe that he'd rather be prideful, out of work, worrying about bills than working with me at a lower rate.

6. Ridiculous. Can't find kids to buck bales either, even tho' the big bales are more popular now, a lot of farmers want the smaller ones for customers. . .I need help with the alpaca poop on occasion and honestly for two hours work, at $10 an hour I think that would surely tempt the kid up the street from me . . .its movies for 2 here . . .my friend in Missouri who has over 50 animals cannot find a kid to help at her farm for nothing. They last a week if that, and they are down the road. Gives me great hope for our future generation.

7. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    i could ....................................dought my parents would let me tho

8. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Maybe he's not hungry enough yet [​IMG] I keep long term food storage, and being out of work for the past year and a half had definately cut into my stores... Down to my last can of lima beans and going to have to start going to the grocery store pretty regularly... So I look for something like this specifically, I do the job to the best of my ability, and spend it on the way home on groceries, long term storage types.. [​IMG]

9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:ifn ya'll got enough work to keep a feller busy and be able to cover his gas $$ I know some blokes who would travel short term to help catch folks up [​IMG]

kidding, but it's crazy... Unemployment is horrible and folks won't take 10/hr cash? [​IMG]

10. What is wrong with these kids today I swear my SIL paid the kid up the street from her 60 bucks to cut her lawn which is not even a half an acre of land I was heck I would have done it for 30 lol she said the kid wanted 70 bucks it wouldn't even take an hour to cut it.
    What ever happened to yester year I cut grass for 5 bucks a lawn washed cars for 2 bucks did 3 hours of yard work for 6 bucks (not an hour either) I'm much older now and would do it for 10 bucks an hour still to this day my my what are we teaching the youths of today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by