Yawning Chick - Is this normal behavior or should I be worried. HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by crystal spencer, Mar 30, 2015.

1. crystal spencer

crystal spencer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Hi all,
    I am new to the chicken world and so excited to have 9 new chicks that are currently less than 2 weeks old. I have noticed my barred rock chick has started a yawning motion, stretching out it's neck, and is not growing as fast as the other chicks.

Is this something I should be worried about? All comments or knowledge welcome as I'm out of my depth and don't want anything to happen to my little one. Help, help, help please!

2. townhen

townhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    Was your chick ok? I also have a Barnevelder chick less than 2 weeks old that has been making the same yawning motion all day today. I am worried, but don't know if I need to be. She seems otherwise fine...

3. crystal spencer

crystal spencer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Hi,
    Since I posted my "help" message, 5 of my 9 chicks have repeated this behavior at some point in the last couple of weeks. None appear to be worse for the wear with the exception of myself who hovered over them every time one of them yawned. Through other sources, who responded on different boards this is not out of the ordinary for the little girls. Occasionally one of them will still do it, but I don't stress about it as much now.

Mine have all continued to eat, drink and gain weight. Though I have to admit, I now have the vet on speed dial and have subscribed to a blog called the "The Chicken Chick" who responded almost immediately to my cry for help! Thanks for asking and please feel free to circle back around and let me know how your little one is doing....

4. townhen

townhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2015
    I'm so glad to hear your little ones are doing well! I will (try to) breathe easier, but I have to admit that I hover over my five worrying myself silly over the littlest changes in their behavior, too. Thanks so much for the response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by