Yawning/gaping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PiratePrincess, Oct 14, 2011.

1. PiratePrincess

PiratePrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Fayetteville
    I have a young barred rock pullet - approximately 10 - 12 weeks old. She has been the picture of health since I got her about a month ago. Up until yesterday. Yesterday she was extremely lethargic and not particularly interested in her food, not even treats like grapes. I could tell something was very very off and so put her in a dog crate all safe and secure in the garage. No change this morning either. The only thing I am noticing is she seems to be a little pale and she keeps opening her mouth. I'm really worried. I've seen two poops and they look okay to my untrained eye, at least nothing alarming or different than what I normally see. My other 8 hens/pullets all seem to be fine. No sneezing or head shaking. Please if anyone has any suggestions? I don't want to lose her. I already have one possibly lost as I purchased a 3 month old cochin on this board and the post office has LOST her. They can't find her anywhere and she was supposed to be here yesterday by 3pm.
    Thanks for any help.

~Sad sad chicken mom

2. PiratePrincess

Jan 23, 2011
    Fayetteville
    I checked on her again and she does seem to want to eat, will pick at the little pieces of cut up grape but it's like she can't open her mouth wide enough?

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Does her crop seem full? If it does, try either olive oil or mineral oil, just a few drops and massage her crop to help break up a possible impaction. Hope some others will come along and help out more! Make sure she has access to water too. Hope they find your other girl, dang post office! [​IMG]

4. PiratePrincess

Jan 23, 2011
    Fayetteville
    I can't feel anything but I am not a chicken expert. She is drinking water because I saw her. She also did eat the little pieces of cut-up grapes- seedless of course! It's like she is trying to clear her throat. When she opens her mouth I can see this stringy mucus stuff - whitish colored, that reminds me of what a person might have when they have drymouth or wakeup in morning. I can't lose her. She is my favorite.

5. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Worm her very quickly.

6. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    This was something I posted a while back and the response from another BYCr

sshavney wrote:
    I used Wazine 17. It was about the size of a rice grain and the same color. I should have taken a picture. She seems to be doing much better right now and resting well. The gasping has stopped.

I agree with you about it being tapeworm. Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. In 10 days you will need to reworm with valbazen. Valbazen is a liquid cattle/sheep wormer and it is administered orally. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens such as your bantam. You can order valbazen(albendazole) from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens can get including tapeworms. If you order the valbazen tomorrow, Jeffers will ship it right away and you'll be ready to dose the tenth day. Because it's tapeworm, I recommend that you redose with valbazen again 10 days after your first valbazen dosing. Dont eat eggs for a grand total of one month. Here's a list of worms and wormers...notice that valbazen (albendazole) kills all worms.
    http://www.healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

7. PiratePrincess

Jan 23, 2011
    Fayetteville
    What should I worm her with? I have Wazine. Will that work? How much in a gallon of water for her?

8. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Ivomec drops on the skin should take care of it. It is sold at TSC for cattle/swine, but works on internal and external parasites. I've used it successfully for gapeworm, which also causes the bird to open its mouth and kind of honk or squeak. (worms get up in the throat). I use 4 drops on bantams, 7 drops on large fowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by