"Yawning"-what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by christine9, Dec 12, 2014.

1. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    My little Limabean (18 weeks) has been acting strange. She has been stretching her neck out and opening her mouth really wide. It looks like she's yawning almost. Then she shakes her head a little. She did it before when younger, but it just seems so strange now to see it again. Searching here links the "yawning" to gape worms. What/how do you worm for something like this? She's otherwise normal. No mucus. Eating and drinking normally. Same growth rate as everyone else. Should I be treating for gape worm, or am I overreacting?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's not gapeworm if she is eating and drinking. Since there arnt any respiratory disease symptoms...she is simply adjusting her crop, this is normal.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How often is she yawning? If she were mine I would get a baseline weight on her. At 18 weeks should should still be growing, so weigh her and watch for weight loss or lack of gain, either would be a sign of illness.

-Kathy

4. christine9

christine9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    She does this for little spurts, every so often. I Guess maybe once every few weeks. I have never seen anyone else do it. Thank you both. I feel pretty relieved, but will get a weight on her. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by