1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yawning?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Knittycat, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    One of my chicks keeps "yawning". None of the other chicks are and she seems healthy otherwise. Is this constant yawning normal?

2. wberry85

wberry85 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    I have a chick that does the same thing. Looks up and opens her mouth for a moment. Its the smallest one of the bunch. I am new to this myself and I was wondering the same thing. The chick seems healthy, eating and drinking and running around with the rest of them, so I guess it is normal...

3. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    My sneezy chick does this. I still have no real answers for her either. She will sneeze sometimes, and she will sometimes shake her head, as well as the mouth opening/yawning thing. She's perfectly healthy and alert at this point. I hope we all get some answers! lol

4. chickens rule123

chickens rule123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    our chickens when they were chicks would do that and still do usually at or near nightime so they must yawn when tired must be a chicken/people thing [​IMG]

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Constant stretching of the neck and opening of the beak over and

over again could be a sign of gape worm. Chickens do yawn. But it

shouldn't be a constant thing. Have you wormed lately?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by