Yay!! Babies spent their first night outside!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cherib603, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    My babes are only 4 weeks old, but had been spending the warm days this week out in their enclosure and coming in at night.
    Yesterday they refused to come in, so I let them stay out and spied on them throughout the night. They have a heated house out there, but each time I peeked out, they were snoozing on the grass. They were all bright and bushy tailed this morning at 5 am when I went out to feed them and change their water (a shallow pan, so no unattended "swimming"). As long as the temps stay warm, I'll let them stay. I'm so proud.♡♡♡

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think at their age and as hot as it's been in most of the country that the temps are least of your worries, I'd be more concerned about predators since it sounds like they are not sleeping in a secure building. They really don't need a heated house a well ventilated house would be best but if your not herding them in of a night you may not have them much longer once preds find out a tasty meal is there for the pickings.

3. Cherib603

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for your concern. :)

They are in a 5x15 chain link pen, with 1/4" hardware cloth wrapped all around and buried 1 foot outside, with a very secure shade top which will be switched to a solid top come October.

Their house is inside this pen, and temps went down to 53 degrees last night, as I'm in New Hampshire, so not that warm at night yet, hence the heat emitter which is on a thermostat to keep their house at 75.

They will not be allowed to free range until they are fully grown, and that will be in my fenced in 1/2 acre.

If you can think of anything else I should be doing, let me know!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like you have everything under control..
    Congrats, they are happy in their new Duck area.

5. Cherib603

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Thank you!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It does sound like an awesome place you have for them, You didn't explain all of this so we[some of us] get nervous when we read ducklings/ducks slept outside and conjure up all kinds of thoughts about predators dragging them off AND eating them sorry.

7. Cherib603

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Sorry.... I should have been more specific. I forget that lots of folks don't have common sense. ;) I can't imagine the stories you've heard.
    Glad to hear I'm doing things right. Married to a Vet who grew up on a farm, so he is well aware of predators and how to take precautions. Guess I'm lucky.
    Glad to have found this forum!!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We're very happy to have you and your ducklings please post some pics when you can. I love you avatar I assume these are some of them?

9. Cherib603

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]
    I have 4 babies - 2 snowy mallards and 2 crested pekins.
    The mallards are actually for a friend who will be taking them this weekend. The 2 Cresteds are mine. :)

10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

How cute!!!!!!
    Enjoy them, they grow fast....

Congrats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by